New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    from boot, windows xp pro on my dell mini 12 seems fast. however, when I try to shutdown. things are quite slow. At times it takes around 5 minutes and it is still not off. What I do is I manually turn it off using the push-on button (and I do not know if pushing that button is in itself safe)...Can anyone suggest what I can do to speed things up....TIA

BTW, I have already updated the XP Pro to SP3 since the OS is genuine...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Set your power button to HIBERNATE mode instead of pwoer down. It will save you a few seconds on powering up.

Alternative, you can use SLEEP MODE but it will mean the netbook will still use power in trickle mode. Power up from SLEEP is much faster.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Set your power button to HIBERNATE mode instead of pwoer down. It will save you a few seconds on powering up.

Alternative, you can use SLEEP MODE but it will mean the netbook will still use power in trickle mode. Power up from SLEEP is much faster.
    how to hibernate? what is sleep mode? I am under windows xp pro and not vista or 7...TIA

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    how to hibernate? what is sleep mode? I am under windows xp pro and not vista or 7...TIA
    go to CONTROL PANEL and click POWER OPTONS.

click the tab ADVANCED.

at the lower half of the window, you'll see "Power Buttons" with three sets of options. You can try figuring out the other two since the labels are self explanatory. What we are interested in is the "power button" option (second option). Select STAND BY (aka sleep mode).

click OK. Close the control panel.

Test it by pressing the power button of your netbook. After it's somewhat powered down, press the power button again.

Note: in sleep mode, the netbook is not fully powered down. Power is still running to critical parts of the computer like memory and cpu but in small amounts. Depending on the netbook (and battery size), a fully charged battery can sustain this mode for a full day to half a week.

Alternative is to choose HIBERNATE. This will force the PC to write the current memory contents to a file on the HDD and fully power down when you press the power button. If you press the power button again, Windows will load the last saved status from the HDD. Not as fast but this option doesn't use up the battery.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Honestly, just sell that thing and buy a Lenovo S12 (nVidia 9400M + ATOM), stuff it with 4GB of ram and opt for the HDD instead of the SSD and you're all set!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    here's some tricks i'm using in xp pro sp2.. but you must be familiar in using regedit if you want to try this..

first, create a back-up of your registry or make a system restore point (in case something goes wrong)..

1. Go to Run, type Regedit and open the registry editor.

2. Now, find the following key : “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop” and select HungupAppTimeout; double click on it and modify the value to 1000. Click OK.

3. Next, scroll a bit down on the same key and find WaitToKillAppTimeout ; double click on it and modify the value to 1000. Click OK.

4. Next, find the following key : “HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop” and look for HungupAppTimeout and WaitTo killAppTimeout and modify their values to 1000, just like above. Click OK .

And last on the registry…

5. Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l and modify the last key WaitToKillServiceTimeout to 1000. Click ok and close the registry editor.

WARNING: Just to be safe, do not put values lower than 1000..

and that's it.. you can now do a "shutdown" test...

HTH

Help speed up xp pro safely...