New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    At present I have an 40" LED TV (Samsung) and a Media Player (Minix Brand).... I am in search of a Home Theater (at least 1,000 rms) and found an LG Home Theater (DH6340P) within my budget...

At the back of my TV, there are 2 HDMI ports, while on my Media Player, there is one HDMI port.... without the Home Theater, I just connect both thru an HDMI cable...

Please be patient with me since I an new to this....

Now, if I would have the Home Theater, the DVD player has an HDMI port, an optical port and the usual rja ports... now if I connect the Media Player to the Led TV thru HDMI (which I believe has digital output, both video and audio), then how would I use the Home Theater as an audio source in this set up?

1. Can I have an optical cable connected between my Media Player (Minix has an optical port) and the DVD player (thru the optical port) of the Home Theater, so that the audio would be digital and not just analogue?

2. Since my Media Player has a 3.5 jack, if I use that would the audio be inferior that using the optical port?

3. Is there any setting that I should do so that there would be not conflict between the HDMI port and Optical port in my Media Player, since HDMI connected to the TV already includes the audio output? Hence the Optical port may not actually function?

As stated, I am a newbie at this... TIA

2. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Hi,
    You can use your LG HT as a stand alone audio source.

1. Yes, you can use Toslink cable to connect your media player to your LG HT provided that the latter has OPTICAL INPUT.
    2. Analogue - good
    Toslink- better
    HDMI - best

3. Check your media player audio output setting. It may allow you to choose between toslink and hdmi. I presume your LG can't decode 7.1 encoded movies.

Media player -> hdmi-> tv(hdmi input 1)

LG HT-> hdmi -> tv (hdmi input 2)

Media player -> toslink -> LG HT [emoji4]