New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    I have installed Office enterprise 2007 to my PC at home (running on XP). The initial installation is a breeze except that everytime I open, say Excel, Word, or InfoPath a pop-up window always comes up and announces "Windows installer... Preparing to Install". The situation repeats itself everytime I open even Internet Explorer. By the way, the copy I have is legit and licensed only under my name/one PC use.

Is there a way I can disable this? It is already becoming a pain just to wait for the actual application to load and use. I tried muting my firewall but it did not solve the problem. I just don't want to play with the registry as I might worsen the condition.

Mga IT brod can you please share your expertise. Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    I have installed Office enterprise 2007 to my PC at home (running on XP). The initial installation is a breeze except that everytime I open, say Excel, Word, or InfoPath a pop-up window always comes up and announces "Windows installer... Preparing to Install". The situation repeats itself everytime I open even Internet Explorer. By the way, the copy I have is legit and licensed only under my name/one PC use.

Is there a way I can disable this? It is already becoming a pain just to wait for the actual application to load and use. I tried muting my firewall but it did not solve the problem. I just don't want to play with the registry as I might worsen the condition.

Mga IT brod can you please share your expertise. Thanks in advance.
    How'd you install Office? Did you pick an option with something like "This feature will be installed when required" option?

I had the same problem with Office 2k Pro here when I chose that option. Once I reinstalled with everything running from the hard drive, the problem disappeared.

It seems to be a common enough bug. Using Google shows a list of fixes for it. The reinstall worked for me.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 4th, 2007 at 07:05 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Thanks bro.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    Thanks bro.
    I'm assuming it worked for you in this case. Cool. I wasn't 100% sure if a simple reinstall would work. It worked for me with Office 2k. Office 2k7 might have been a bit different.

There is an actual bug when you install everything and that Windows Installer box still pops up. I haven't personally encountered that one. But it seemed to occur most over corporate networks where you install Office and you don't have god rights.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Sir Jun, actually I followed your recommendation. 1st-Uninstalled it then 2nd-Re-installed it back (running from my hdd instead from the installation disk). At first I thought it has finally corrected the issue but I'm surprised to see the familiar bug. I guess I need another work around. Do you think there is an answer under the hood of msconfig? If not, under regedit, can you please extend your guidance so I can tweak the bug out. I am also currently looking for an answer on my CompTia A+ manual but I trust Pinoy ITs more. Mas matulungin at mas mahusay.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    try to run the office diagnostics...

On-demand detect and repair
    To run the Detect and Repair feature in your 2007 Office programs, use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation.

For 2007 Office programs that use menus
    1. Start the 2007 Office program.
    2. On the Help menu, click Office Diagnostics.
    3. Click Continue.
    4. Click Run Diagnostics.
    5. If a problem is identified, Office Diagnostics may offer to run the repair process.

For 2007 Office programs that use the Ribbon
    1. Start the 2007 Office program.
    2. Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click program_name Options.
    3. In the program_name Options dialog box, click Resources, and then click Diagnose next to office diagnostics.
    4. Click Continue.
    5. Click Run Diagnostics.
    6. If a problem is identified, Office Diagnostics may offer to run the repair process.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'm no IT. But, I have had to work with ITs whenever some issues cropped up.

There should be some Pinoy ITs who drop by here from time to time. Maybe they can provide more solid solutions.

As for the Office 2007 Windows Installer, Preparing To Install problem....... The one I suggested worked for Office 2000 Professional. The only other thing I can add is that I didn't need Access. So, I unchecked the tick box for that but had everything else (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook).

Beyond that, I'd refer to the troubleshooting FAQ/database at the MS website or Google it.

Gee. Makes me want to hang on to Office 2k instead of upgrading if that's what's in store for me with Office 2k7. I do have a voucher for a discount.

Help MS Office Enterprise 2007