New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    3 days ago, when I boot up my office PC, I was greeted by this message displayed on the monitor:

A problem with the hard drive has been detected.
    Press the Enter key to continue.

After pressing the Enter key, Windows booted normally without a problem. I also didn't encounter any problem while using the PC.

How would I know what kind of problem was detected on my hard disk?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I assume Windows gamit mo.

Go to My Computer - right click the hard disk - Properties - Tools tab - Check Now

That will run the Disk Utility of Windows.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think that's the S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) feature of the hdd working.

To be sure, right click on "My Computer" then select "Manage", this will open the "Computer Management" window.

Select "Event Viewer" then "System" then check for entries pertaining to HDD error. There will be entries there like "\Device\Harddisk0\D" or something like that stating there are bad blocks.

If I were you, back-up the HDD that's showing error then try replace or run a third party HDD health monitoring/repair utilities.

HTH

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    run chkdsk.exe as what bro. lucius said. don't forget to check tick box automatically fix file system error (something like that). Back up your files just incase something serious happen in the near future.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This is what I got:

The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Does it mean I must replace the HD already?

This will be my 3rd hard disk failure in 3 months on 3 different computers. And all are Seagates!

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thats most likely the SMART early detection system. To be sure, go to seagate.com and download seatools. Run it and it will tell you if your drive is for replacement.

Looks like a bad batch from seagate. Happened before with IBM, the infamous deathstar drives and Seagate.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last edited by safeorigin; March 1st, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Thats most likely the SMART early detection system. To be sure, go to seagate.com and download seatools. Run it and it will tell you if your drive is for replacement.

Looks like a bad batch from seagate. Happened before with IBM, the infamous deathstar drives and Seagate.
    The 3 hard drives that failed are 1 80GB, 1 120GB and this latest one with 500GB.

th3 80GB and 500GB were bought almost at the same time around 2 yrs ago. While the 120GB was already more than 5yrs.

I don't think it's a bad batch.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hindi pa yan sira FDISK lang katapat niyan bigay mo sa akin hehehe

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    *boybi, try mo baka makatulong...

http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-D...contentBody;1d

Hard disk error