New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I made some comparison and was quite surprised with the results.

browsers:
    Firefox 3 + addons=none/as-is
    Google Chrome+addons=none/as-is
    Maxthon +addons=imagshack-sidebar,Flashget
    IE7 + addons=IE7Pro,Flashget

all has same sites opened, 12 tabs,

firefox 3 = 86.7Mb
    google chrome = 134Mb
    Maxthon = 43.7Mb
    Internet Explorer 7 = 32.9Mb

Minimized

firefox 3 = 86.Mb
    google chrome = 134Mb
    Maxthon = 18Mb
    Internet Explorer 7 = 13.8Mb

btw IE7Pro plugin is 80% exact feature copy from Maxthon specialy on Tabs and tools area. and 10% from firefox on browsing speed and realtime spell check. but IE7Pro plugin is as unstable as firefox 2.

I'm also impressed with firefox 3, if I was using firefox 1-2, it would have reach more than 150mb.

not much changes on memory consumption after 15 minutes of standby. though maxthon tries to reach low as 16Mb from time to time.

Imo, developers have different ideas thinking what is the best. chrome developers obviously thinks separate tabs makes more stable browsing, because you can Isolate a particular tab when it hangs. however, Imo, they should concentrate that no any tab will hangup.
    Last edited by rion; September 5th, 2008 at 06:14 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ewww... the one thing I really hate are programs bringing startups with them...

auto update should the least be called upon when opening the program, not at the OS Startup.
    Last edited by rion; September 6th, 2008 at 12:20 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Just downloaded and installed it. Now testing it.

:beer: [SIZE="1"]3683[/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    For me its relatively ok. But Firefox parin ako dahil sanay na ako sobra sa interface nya.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i downloaded it.. gave it a try.. its good, pretty simple browser. just got to wait for the final release. i dont like using betas..

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Still testing it.

I noted the following:

1. It's not compatible with my blog provider.

2. Some flaws in blogposts.

:beer: [SIZE="1"]3709[/SIZE]

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    first time testers, if you want to try it without leaving much registry dirt, use the portable version.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Google Chrome Browser Comes to Mac, Linux
    by Chloe Albanesius

Google on Tuesday released beta versions of its Chrome browser for Mac and Linux.

The company also unveiled extensions in Chrome for Windows and Linux.

"It took longer than we expected, but we hope the wait was worth it," Brian Rakowski, Google product manager, wrote in a blog post.

Google unveiled Chrome in September 2008, but only for Windows. Rough versions of Chrome for Mac and Linux were released in June, but they did not include Flash support, and did not allow users to print, manage bookmarks, or alter privacy settings.

Google lifted a "hefty dose of goodness from the Windows version to build a fast, polished browser for Mac," including the Omnibox, artist themes, and speed, John Grabowski and Mike Pinkerton, Chrome software engineers, wrote in a separate blog post.

That took 73,804 lines of Mac-specific code and 29 developer builds, they said.

"We also took great care to make Google Chrome a native application for Mac. For example, we integrated the Keychain into Google Chrome for Mac, and incorporated Mac-style animations when you open the Bookmarks bar," they said.

Grabowski and Pinkerton said the Mac team was focused on "delivering rock-solid depth in a few critical areas for the browser, rather than a breadth of feature that are rough around the edges."

As a result, this version does not include extensions, bookmark sync, bookmark manager, and cookie manager. Future versions will "fill in the gaps," they said.

On the Linux front, Rakowski said the team again focused on speed, stability, and security, but given that most engineers use Linux machines, Google wanted Chrome to be a high-performance browser that integrated well with the Linux ecosystem.

"This includes tight integration with native GTK themes, updates that are managed by the standard system package manager, and many other features that fit in natively with the operating system where possible," Rakowski wrote.

It also embraces open standards like HTML 5, Google said.

"Where we noticed problems in system libraries, we pushed fixes upstream and filed bugs," Dan Kegel and Evan Martin, Google software engineers, wrote on the Chromium blog. "This open approach to development seems to be working: so far, about 50 developers outside Google have contributed code, and several Linux distributions even maintain preliminary open source builds of Google Chromium."

Kegel and Martin warned that those who installed the less stable, dev channel version of Chrome for Linux should uninstall that version before downloading the beta version. "We tried to make that work smoothly, but a few rough edges remain," they said.

Download the Mac version or the Linux version now.

Meanwhile, Google has also made a beta version of extensions available for Chrome in Windows and Linux.

"If you're on a PC or a Linux machine, you can check out more than 300 extensions in the gallery, including a few cool, useful, and cute extensions," Rakowski wrote. "Extensions aren't quite beta-quality on Mac yet, but you will be able to preview them on a developer channel soon."

He promised that extensions are "as easy to create as Web pages, easy to install, and each extension runs in its own process to avoid crashing or significantly slowing down the browser."
    www.PCmag.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Google Chrome (BETA)