New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Haha! old school. naaalala ko pa yung weird sounds na ginagawa ng modem para kumonek ) ehehhe tapos kapag 12mn to 6am free unlimited and mabilis so nung time na yun ako lagi nag oonline at nagoonline games ) wahahhaha

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I remember using my dial up to play ONE on ONE Starcraft against my friend or cousins... Paminsan Battle.NET in DIABLO (the original) maskin pirated copy ko kasi wala pang authentication dati!

Then your sister picks up the phone, and there goes your intense Starcraft battle! :evil:

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    14.4 kbaud FTW!

I was using "shotgun" technology for 28.8 kbaud speeds using two 14.4 modems and two phone lines at the same time in parallel. Astig!

That is indeed a massive upgrade from the 2400 baud acoustic couplers I used during my BBS days... complete with suction cups mounted to the ear and mouthpiece of a rotary phone, hehe!

BTT

I'm currently looking at my WeRoam statistics and see that I average around 2-3 GB a day for work-related stuff. Now I'm not using it exclusively as I am for the most part using my company's Quad-DS3 for work. But for the short times I'm out of the office, or when I'm home, I easily accumulate 2-3 GBs a day just moving files via VPN and loading up online development resources from Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, and a host of Open source stuff, and doing Skype calls... all that on a WeRoam. Imagine people who rely entirely on their DSL connections for even more stuff.

The government should really look into the various straw man arguments being bandied about by these slimeball ISPs and push for consumer protection.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Its just another lame excuse to increase their profitability by taking that fake moral high ground route by feigning a false sense of moral authority in this matter. Like they really care what people do or download online. As if these telcos owners/employees, don't do anything differently in their personal internet use compared to the rest of the population.

In the Philippines, we pay a higher rate for internet services that are not even 10% of the speed of what other countries offer like in Hong Kong. In HK, the internet is so fast that downloading terabytes per month is possible. And no bandwidth capping is involved.

If they want to cap the bandwidth then they better improve their service (if it exists) and ante up the bandwidth speed, commensurate to what the consumers are paying these telecos. NTC (another lame duck gov't org.) should look into this matter, if ite even fair in the consumer's interest.
    +1, kalokohan yan. Eh di yung lagyan nila ng mataas na rate ay yung kumikita sa internet Peor yung households na personal use lang wala dapat. la nga ganyan sa japan eh. Mas disiplinado pa sila ha.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Ayala needs to cap bec. their movie houses are close to vacant during weekdays.

their malls are less visited and their tenants are not earning bec. people choose to stay * home and surf. same instant gratification which is entertainment.

that's the problem with the Ayala business: they have more to lose than Smart - Sun - PLDT combined

what they are doing is a risk by itself bec. they are counting on the possibility that the Smart-PLDT giant will do the same on the idea that they will profit more in the long run.

but I doubt that. if you ask me Globe internet is digging its own grave. that Pangilinan fellow is a Genghis Khan. i say let them cap

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Bandwidth is a finite resource so ISPs need to cap. Capping is already present since day 1 of operations of all ISPs. Do you know why? Because without this caps, simple actions such as browsing a simple webpage won't be possible. Speed caps are also known as traffic shaping.

I'm all for bandwidth caps for as long as it will make our connections very reliable. Almost zero downtime. I'm all for caps!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I'm all for bandwidth caps for as long as it will make our connections very reliable. Almost zero downtime. I'm all for caps!
    you're dreaming about zero downtime dude.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    you're dreaming about zero downtime dude.
    Zero downtime is a dream. Almost zero is possible.

Anyway, yang caps na yan. lumang balita na yan mga tol. Day 1 pa lang ng operations ng isang ISP eh may caps na aka traffic shaping.
    Last edited by froshie1; April 7th, 2011 at 12:12 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by froshie1 View Post
    Bandwidth is a finite resource so ISPs need to cap. Capping is already present since day 1 of operations of all ISPs. Do you know why? Because without this caps, simple actions such as browsing a simple webpage won't be possible. Speed caps are also known as traffic shaping.

You're dreaming if you think bandwidth capping would result in zero downtime.

All it would do is to put more money into the pockets of the ISPs for doing absolutely nothing to actually improve their service.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    im a globe internet subscriber - 3bmps speed and this is just bad news. bad bad bad news. ive been with globe for 3 years na...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Globe moves to cap Internet data volume