New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Has anyone tried this yet? Any recommended phone?

Globe showcases speed, reliability of 4G mobile tech
    (The Philippine Star) Updated May 09, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Globe Telecom conducted a live speed test demonstration of its 4G mobile technology, using the global standard HSPA+ or Evolved High-Speed Packet Access at its initial rollout phase.

This followed after the company announced that the technology is already available in 19 sites in Metro Manila, covering Marikina, Quezon City, Makati, Pasay, Las Piñas, Taguig and Manila.

During the live demo, a Globe 4G HSPA+-powered broadband dongle was speed-tested simultaneously with four other dongles — a regular Globe Tattoo stick (2G), a Globe SuperStick (3G) and its two competitor brands.

In the speed test, the broadband stick running on 4G HSPA+ bested its competitors after registering a download speed of 8.55 Mbps and an upload speed of 1.02 Mbps.

Its 2G and 3G-powered sticks also showed better and improved performance in download and upload speeds after being used in a 4G-powered site, surpassing existing speeds.

This showed speed and reliability of 4G HSPA+ amid simultaneous broadband sticks being tested which required more network bandwidth to work.

Globe portfolio management head Joanna Africa also showcased the various functionalities of Samsung Galaxy S2, the latest 4G-capable device that Globe will exclusively offer to its subscribers in the next few weeks to allow them to fully enjoy the 4G experience on their handsets.

With this device, subscribers are treated to better and more stable data connections that will result in high-speed Web browsing and faster video streaming and downloads.

“The increasing data usage is driving the need for more capacity. Since we are committed to providing quality services to our subscribers, we have proactively responded to the call by deploying new technologies that will upgrade and enhance their experience with us,” said Peter Bithos, senior advisor for consumer business of Globe Telecom.

“The commercial rollout of our 4G mobile technology testifies to this commitment of bringing the most up-to-date technologies and services to our customers,” Bithos said.

Now considered as a mainstream technology, HSPA+ is the most relevant 4G technology available in the market today.

Current subscribers using 3G-enabled mobile phones and broadband dongles are already benefiting from the initial rollout with improved call, text and data experience.

Subscribers based in the pilot HSPA+ areas can expect to experience the real 4G technology with new
    4G-enabled devices and applications coming very soon only from Globe.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Has anyone tried this yet? Any recommended phone?
    Internet access at 4G speed will only be good if you have the content for it.

Content that requires this high speed connection will obviously be streaming music and video, high quality online gaming, video on demand, cloud type services like file storage/backup and cloud applications, etc.

The problem is the "fair-use policy" that internet providers will be using. High speed access would just mean you will use up your allocated data-limit sooner than later.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    malamang sa umpisa matulin pa pero later on medyo babagal na din. But definitely, mas mabilis yan sa 3G or current wimax.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    meron na bang 4G dito? baka 3.5 or 3.9G pa lang yan...wi tribe nga 4G tawag nila hinde naman.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    meron na bang 4G dito? baka 3.5 or 3.9G pa lang yan...wi tribe nga 4G tawag nila hinde naman.
    Meron na 4G but limited service areas and you will need new hardware to be able to connect to the faster 4G system.

The thing is, current internet services does not yet max out the current 3G and 3.5G bandwidth.

So what is going to happen is 4G will be more of a marketing gimmick than actual progress in tech.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Meron na 4G but limited service areas and you will need new hardware to be able to connect to the faster 4G system.

The thing is, current internet services does not yet max out the current 3G and 3.5G bandwidth.

So what is going to happen is 4G will be more of a marketing gimmick than actual progress in tech.
    any feedback from the smart's 4G that they tested last holy week in Boracay? bilis daw eh

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    any feedback from the smart's 4G that they tested last holy week in Boracay? bilis daw eh
    Kinda obvious since no one else was using Smart's 4G network. Kinda like shooting fish in the proverbial barrel. I would also assume for the demo, they removed the bandwidth limiters so it would have a better showing at the boracay demo.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have any tech that can access 4G right now so I can't give it a try. And I am not planning to spend a few thousand bucks just to test a system that may or may not stay fast as more subscribers start using and abusing it.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Kinda obvious since no one else was using Smart's 4G network. Kinda like shooting fish in the proverbial barrel. I would also assume for the demo, they removed the bandwidth limiters so it would have a better showing at the boracay demo.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have any tech that can access 4G right now so I can't give it a try. And I am not planning to spend a few thousand bucks just to test a system that may or may not stay fast as more subscribers start using and abusing it.
    from what I understand subscribers only need a USB dungle like device to be able to access the 4G network on Smart

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    from what I understand subscribers only need a USB dungle like device to be able to access the 4G network on Smart
    yup but that usb dongle will still cost you around P2,000 (just a guess based on 3G version price) plus the sim card and prepaid load or postpaid account.

If you are getting the 4G usb dongle from smart, it will be locked to smart only (just like a mobile phone).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^but if the speed is as good as advertised and w/o capping then pwede na. from what I've read the telecom won't be able to oversubscribe if they eventually use the 4G or something to that effect unlike the 3G tech

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast