New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070808/...rancisco_wi_fi

I see this happening in every major city worldwide in the next five years.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I doubt such a venture will happen in the Philippines. For one thing, there is no money for free WiFi. There must be some sort of money making angle for it to become viable.

Example, if there is a way to insert ads into the webpages your surf. That way at least advertising will pay for the infrastructure and maintenance of the system.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I doubt such a venture will happen in the Philippines. For one thing, there is no money for free WiFi. There must be some sort of money making angle for it to become viable.

Example, if there is a way to insert ads into the webpages your surf. That way at least advertising will pay for the infrastructure and maintenance of the system.
    I agree as well.

Although I wish it could happen......but economics tells you that it can't. Same thing with SMS text messages. These can NEVER BE FREE (up until year 2020) because payment is needed to fund infrastructure backbone to transmit those SMS text messages.

Same thing in TV service.
    If they made Digital TV service for free, then where would the funds come from for buying the equipment???

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    They did do free SMS, when it was new. Back when it was a value-added service and not a huge portion of the GSM networks' traffic volume.

That's what happens to free services... once volume exceeds capacity, you have to pay to increase capacity. Free wi-fi in certain cafes is okay, since it's value added and low-bandwidth... but a lot of them are starting to go the pay-wi-fi route... bummer...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    That's what happens to free services... once volume exceeds capacity, you have to pay to increase capacity. Free wi-fi in certain cafes is okay, since it's value added and low-bandwidth... but a lot of them are starting to go the pay-wi-fi route... bummer...
    Almost all of the cafes and other wifi hotspots are pay for access types.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah... even some of my favorite "free" spots aren't free anymore.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    and even if you find some free spots, security is a big issue. Better have your machines "vaccined"

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    buti pa dto samin, all coffee shops free wifi..aba kung may bayad baka lalangawin sila :snob:

Free Wi-Fi (This would be awesome!)