New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Four Reasons Why Windows XP Users Should Switch to Lubuntu This April

Support for Windows XP officially ends on April 8, 2014. After this date Microsoft will no longer issues security updates, patch exploits or provide any other means of official, direct support to its users

For the majority of us the axe can’t fall soon enough. At twelve-years old, XP is a crusty, cob-web laden old-codger of an OS, one that has trundled on well past its best-buy date.

more.....
    Windows XP User? Here's 4 Reasons to Switch to Lubuntu This April | OMG! Ubuntu!
    Windows XP User? Here's 4 Reasons to Switch to Lubuntu This April | OMG! Ubuntu!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    well, it does taste like an advertisement...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Still won't take the bait. I'm a Windows XP user since it was launched. Never had any update (when 7 was released) and didn't encounter major issues so far. Maybe, having no AV helps (just IS).

Sent from whatever device I got my hands on via Tsikot App

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    For all the tooting of its own horn, i've never come across a desktop environment on Linux that comes close to Windows XP's. Let's face it, M$ made a lot of money selling Windows not because it's the most technologically superior -- it's because people, especially non-techies, actually prefer to use it, and pcs are cheaper than Macs.

i'm not saying that Lubuntu or any other desktop environment is crap, i like using XFCE myself. But if you're used to Windows, there's some adjustment needed.

Just try and migrate your accounting department from Windows/MS Office to Ubuntu/OpenOffice; -- magwewelga mga yan :D

This has been M$' formula all along:

- see what's good out there,
    - copy it, or buy the company, damn the legal consequences,
    - make it more usable, add more corporate-friendly features,
    - slash prices,
    - sell a ton of it and make lots of money

and it seems they're doing this for the Windows Phone: they've slashed licensing costs to attract manufacturers.

And all the "office productivity suites" out there don't even come close to the usability of MS Office.
    Last edited by badkuk; February 28th, 2014 at 11:03 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I agree with badkuk. Sadly for Linux, it has a steep learning curve. For people who grew with Microsoft 3.0, 95, 98, 2000, XP, etc. our own transition isn't as easy as it sounded.

I've tested our own Ubuntu rollout but I had to re-OS them back to Windows 7 thanks to two things: (1) driver support and (2) learning curve. In our case, the learning curve was around 2 weeks for employees to become familiar with the system. However, yun problema is when something goes wrong.. it's not like these people are willing to type "sudo" commands at their terminal. Then there's the driver support.. for example, I can't get our networked HP OfficeJet 7000 to work smoothly.. I keep on getting an error something like page pool is full or something so I had to "reinstall" the driver ever so often. Then yun application ni BIR ayaw gumana kahit ni-WINE ko na.

However, not everybody rejects Ubuntu naman. We have a couple of employees who actually enjoy their OpenOffice/Ubuntu configurations mainly due to security (sige lang, saksak ka lang ng USB dyan! no fear!) and speed (well, it's Ubuntu and solid-state disks... what do they expect)