New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Floating Generator Transforms the Ocean's Motions into MegaWatts

While winds may die and clouds may obscure the sun, nothing can stop the rhythmic lapping of ocean waves. Now, an Australian company hopes to harness that power and covert it to usable electricity with the most powerful wave-energy generator ever created. And this is just their small-scale prototype.

Dubbed the Oceanlinx, this 1 MW "greenwave" generator uses the oscillating motion of waves to power something called a Denniss-Auld turbine. This unique bi-directional airflow device, custom-built for the Oceanlinx, generates high-pressure air currents to drive an electrical turbine as the waves inside the concrete base pulse up and down.

Source: Floating Generator Transforms the Ocean's Motions into MegaWatts

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    cool. hope it works and can withstand the corrosive nature of salt water. And if it works and is cheap enough for 3rd world countries to use.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Hopefully they could utilize the full potential of ocean waves. Main goal is to produce more power and lower down electricity rates for consumers.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Saan ba inaanchor ang equipment? If it has a concrete base that is anchored to the seabed then that would rocket up the construction costs. Using concrete instead of the steel is actually smart, to minimize effects of salt water. But then the turbine assembly, kailangan talaga nya ng maintenance because atleast the innards of the generator should be metal and the turbine should be constructed with material strong enough to harness the forces of air - maybe steel, which is easily harmed by corrosion.

Actually i alrrady saw similar technology sa planet mechanics ng nat geo. Pero that one utilized just two old drums connected to form one long cylindrical tube anchored on the concrete of some sort of a small pier. One end is exposed to the gushing waves pushing air to and fro the other end which has a nozzle to increase air velocity and a fan designed to rotate uni directionally connected to a motor generator that charges a wet cell battery. Pero sabi, is bi-directional daw yung turbine which confuses me as to how could it generate electricity with the turbine alternatingly spinning in two different directions. Or maybe i just have a limited knowledge on these hehe an explanation would be appreciated. Godbless this project and sana mag succeed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how could it generate electricity with the turbine alternatingly spinning in two different directions
    use rectifiers ... regardless of type of generator, ac or dc, and the direction of rotation, the rectifier will eventually produce the proper dc current to charge the batteries

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If the turbine is constantly changing direction, then that's extra wear on the bearings and assembly.

I think if it's bi-directional, you'd need one-way check valves in the air chamber so the air moves through the turbine in one direction only.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    di ba sa ilalim ng dagat may current? don pa nga sumasabay yung mga isda/turtles/sharks sa pag lalakbay sa ibat-ibang continent.
    sana meron din maka discover na gamitin yun yung current na yun to generate power.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rollyic View Post
    di ba sa ilalim ng dagat may current? don pa nga sumasabay yung mga isda/turtles/sharks sa pag lalakbay sa ibat-ibang continent.
    sana meron din maka discover na gamitin yun yung current na yun to generate power.
    Kawawa naman mga isda/turtles/sharks. Maaaksidente sila pag tumama sa gen sets.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If the turbine is constantly changing direction, then that's extra wear on the bearings and assembly.

I think if it's bi-directional, you'd need one-way check valves in the air chamber so the air moves through the turbine in one direction only.
    Ung turbine po nya shapped like the wings of an airplane, nilagay sha sa loob ng tube, kahit na patulak or pahigop ung hangin na dumadan sa loob ng tube ang direction ng ikot ng turbine ay isang direction lan. Ung frequency nga lang nya ay hindi stable. Minsan malakas minsan mahina, kung kakabitan mo sha ng bulb power out nya para kang naglagay ng christmass lights na sira ung light controller.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tsikot Car Forums mobile app