New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    From All Headline News -

D.C. Morales - AHN News Writer
    Manila, Philippines (AHN)-Chinese and Filipinos vie for the distinction as top senders of text messages worldwide. China's texting fans overtook Filipinos last year, sending 1.6 billion text messages daily last year, while Filipinos sent an average of 1 billion texts daily.

China has over 600 million mobile phone subscribers, which is higher than all the subscriber in the ten Southeast Asia countries. The Philippines have an estimated 50 million mobile phone subscribers as of last year.

In 2006, Filipinos sent 500 million text messages daily and 250 million in 2005, according to the National Telecommunications Commission. Filipinos are the most prolific texters in the world.

Text messaging via mobile phone is done not only by individuals for personal communication but by financial institutions and other organizations for business correspondence as well.

In fact, text messages are believed to have contributed to the ouster of former Philippine president Joseph Estrada in 2001 when Filipinos formed a so-called "text brigade."

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    this doesn't surprise me at all...when I was last there, it seems that everybody had their faces glued to their cellphone screens and their thumbs dancing away at the keypad...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ano laban ng Pinas sa dami ng tao sa China.

China has 1.3 billion people.

even if just 5 percent of their population ( 65,000,000 people) started using celphones, talo na agad ang Pinas.
    Last edited by uls; April 2nd, 2008 at 11:40 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    ano laban ng Pinas sa dami ng tao sa China.

China has 1.3 billion people.

even if just 5 percent of their population ( 65,000,000 people) started using celphones, talo na agad ang Pinas.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    The glaring disparity in the user base (600m vs 50m) is what makes the stat interesting. Despite the huge difference, the number of aggregate total messages sent was much closer (1.6B vs 1B daily). This implies Filipinos are more intensive SMS users than the Chinese, and probably more than any other race for that matter.

Moreover, if you are able to read between the lines, it is also indicative of so many other things - social interaction, lack of alternate communications, etc. - revelations that might prove useful for some purposes. Not that least, of course, is to never assume certain situations are hopeless or futile, just because on the surface, they appear to be so.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

A better metric here would be the number of text messages sent per day per capita....

5707:tumbleweed:

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Wow, yaman ng mga network subscribers... What happens if may tax kaya ito? :curious:
    iam3739.com

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    I ain't surprised one bit.

and the most common text message sent is... 'Dito na me, Wr na U?'

:hihihi:

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sabi ng cousin ko from the states, the reason why pinoys do a lot of texting is beacuse we have a lot of time in our hands... of course he was joking pero parang totoo na rin... hihihi

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    I ain't surprised one bit.

and the most common text message sent is... 'Dito na me, Wr na U?'

:hihihi:
    and of course, its counterpart reply..."lapit na. w8 lng."

Filipinos And Chinese Vie As Top Senders Of Text Messages In 2007