New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Question...

Do i have to apply for a (separate)fax line sa PLDT or can i use the regular telephone/DSL line i currently have for fax services, whether thru PC or an external fax machine? This will be used for occasional personal fax messages, and not for business.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pede na yun regular telephone/DSL line mo...no need to apply separate fax line (unless you want a dedicated fax line).

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    *swordsman,

If your intent is to fax to international phone numbers, you may want to consider getting a scanner instead. Scan the material and email them as attachments. This way you can save on toll charges (assuming you are not using VoIP lines) and fax consummables.

Of course, it is different if you want to receive faxes. If the sender does not have Internet access or a scanner/digital camera, then you are limited to fax.

Personally, I stopped using fax as far back as the year 2000. Practically everyone we advised re replacing fax with emailing scanned documents did so. But then the nature of our business involves mostly digital material. It really depends on your situation.

Just my 2 cents.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    pede na yun regular telephone/DSL line mo...no need to apply separate fax line (unless you want a dedicated fax line).
    thanks. any specific setup i need to do, i.e. which/what cable connector conncts to where? i don't have a fax modem by the way, so is it still doable? on the sofware side, i think i can use windows xp fax.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    *swordsman,

If your intent is to fax to international phone numbers, you may want to consider getting a scanner instead. Scan the material and email them as attachments. This way you can save on toll charges (assuming you are not using VoIP lines) and fax consummables.

Of course, it is different if you want to receive faxes. If the sender does not have Internet access or a scanner/digital camera, then you are limited to fax.

Personally, I stopped using fax as far back as the year 2000. Practically everyone we advised re replacing fax with emailing scanned documents did so. But then the nature of our business involves mostly digital material. It really depends on your situation.

Just my 2 cents.
    thanks. the scanner thing makes sense, and will keep it in mind. however, my purpose is the usual occasional faxing of documents to/from banks, etc...with the other party mostly using their conventional external fax machines.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    here's our set-up sa office:

we have a dedicated fax (extension routed to the modem of one PC). just apply for a line (o kaya IDD if you're planning to send faxes abroad)

• when there's an incoming fax, 2 rings and its received by the PC. we then have the option of reading it or printing it afterwards. usually, its the former.
    • when the PC's turned off during non-office hours and there are faxes coming in, 5 rings then its received and printed out by the fax itself.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by swordsman View Post
    thanks. any specific setup i need to do, i.e. which/what cable connector conncts to where? i don't have a fax modem by the way, so is it still doable? on the sofware side, i think i can use windows xp fax.
    You would need a fax/modem on your computer (internal or external would be okay). Then the driver for this device para marecognize - kung XP ang OS mo, chances are, merun na itong built-in na fax driver.

Sa DSL na line, merun itong filter that splits the signal into two - line and dsl. The line goes to the telephone and the DSL sa router or modem.

Yung line you can split it into two using regular telephone splitter, one line can go to the phone and the other to the fax modem.

Even MS Word or Excel can send the fax (word document or spreadsheet)...the fax works like a printer... so when you print the document you can select it from the list of printers - fax modem ang ichose mo.

Merun dun several set-ups - like paper size and quality of print-out (just like a regular fax).

When you "print" it would ask you the number... then that is basically it.

Some advance fax modems and corresponding software nito will even allow a function na fax-on-demand...parang regular fax.

FAX line...