New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Suggestions please. I'm currently in a bind looking for a future replacement for my home broadband router/******* client/file server. The 4 or 5 y/o P4-2GHz server I'm using now is already showing its age.

I prefer passive cooling this time. The server is in a seldom-used part of the house that is rather dusty. The fans on the current server pulls the dirt in and traps all sorts of crap inside the chassis. Adding a filter is a stop gap measure since I want the server to be as maintenance-free as possible.

Maybe an ITX platform? Atom or VIA procie? I dunno.

Help...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You can get one of the ITX motherboards that have Intel ATOM cpu.

I am currently using one running 24/7 downloading *******s and acting as my file server at home. The powersupply is still standard ATX type so there is this the fan for that, plus the single fan on the ITX motherboard.

Advantage of using ATX powersupply is it is easy to find a replacement as compared to using a casing that uses a non-standard power supply.

You generally have the choice of the single or dual core Atom motherboards. Overall performance of the two types is generally as expected that the dual core can process certain tasks faster. Graphics functions are the same performance. Windows7 runs well on the Atom dual core system even with "Aero" enabled but runs noticeably faster with it disabled.

Alternative is to get a EEE/PC net-top PC unit. It's a totally fanless system but would cost more than a custom system build on an ITX/Atom motherboard and an ATX casing. Downside, it is hard to repair it if the hardware fails.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 12th, 2010 at 01:55 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Thanks GH.

I guess you're right regarding the use of standard PSUs. Will keep that in mind. Though I was thinking along the lines of using an external PSU block + internal DC-DC converter as shown, with a chassis to go with it.

I can probably do something about the cpu hsf... maybe changing it out to a bigger heat sink without a fan. Average CPU utilization would most likely be no more than 20%, so heat dissipation would be minimal anyway.

Btw, the server will be running ClarkConnect. It's a Linux-based router software with all the features I need. Graphics acceleration is irrelevant because it will be headless.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I guess you're right regarding the use of standard PSUs. Will keep that in mind. Though I was thinking along the lines of using an external PSU block + internal DC-DC converter as shown, with a chassis to go with it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/02/%21Bb-LSdgBWk%7E$%28KGrHqMOKkUEq4+BGQcQBKyePYpFkg%7E%7E_ 12.JPG
    Using the kind of PSU shown in the picture would save space and require no fan. But if it breaks down, you will have a hell of a time finding a replacement.

I used to have a computer rental shop so I value standardized components (like the PSU) for easy replacement even if it's many years after the PC was purchased.

I can probably do something about the cpu hsf... maybe changing it out to a bigger heat sink without a fan. Average CPU utilization would most likely be no more than 20%, so heat dissipation would be minimal anyway.
    Ironically the fan is not on the CPU heaksink. It is on what I would think to be a "southbridge" chip heatsink on other typical motherboards.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Crap! So true. Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with whatever is available on the market... and it has to be standard equipment.

Thanks again.

Fanless home server suggestions