New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    This Extra Lens Is Like a Megaphone For Your DSLR's Pop-up Flash

It might occasionally come in handy as a bit of fill light for a shot, but your DSRL's pop-up flash is a poor substitute for a dedicated flash perched atop your camera. It makes sense why it sucks; it's designed to be small and compact enough to fold away. But with Rogue's Safari Flash Booster added to the mix, all of a sudden your DSLR's pop-up flash isn't so crappy any more.

Using a cleverly designed fresnel lens, the Safari booster promises to give you up to eight times more light from your camera's built-in flash, without the need for extra batteries. It does mean you have to carry around an extra accessory that attaches to your camera's hot shoe, but if it delivers as promised, at $35 it's far cheaper than adding a full-sized flash to your kit.

Source: gizmodo

2. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    It looks more like a gimmick to me.
    Flash needs capacitors, more powerful bulbs, etc to produce more power.
    Anything you put in front of a flash typically kills light rather than add.
    Also, most photo-gear that has "real" value usually cost money. For $35, I wouldn't expect anything.

I would suggest saving up a bit and get a hot shoe flash (OEM or 3rd party).

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BS. how the hell can it "give you up to eight times more light"? Para lang yan dun sa bumili ng dslr na walang alam.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd rather spend real money for a real flash unit.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    pang april fools to ah

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I think it will save fuel too Kidding aside, everytime light passes through anything, it's power diminishes. Even when light passes through a convex lens (magnifying lens) , its power diminishes though the lens would bring the beams together. From the photo, it looks like a linear Fresnel lens similar to the type used to enlarge television screens back in the 80's.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it is probably advertised to work like a telescope in reverse... focuses the light to be able to throw it further.. but i am afraid it may also give that added special effect of "periscope view"... bright center field, dark around it..
    does it work? of course it works (according to the manufacturer). only the user can say for sure..
    but i still prefer the big cobra-design flashes.. more impressive look pa..

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My solution is simpler... use a napkin and/or a calling card as a makeshift diffuser. Well... doesn't amplify the light, but it makes it a lot softer.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    retz.....sablay ka naman.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    wikipedias take on this matter (fresnel lens)

this contraption provide an over exposed effect which can be done on a software already
    Last edited by kisshmet; September 18th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast