New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006

If you use both Android and iOS devices on a regular basis you probably have more chargers on hand than you can keep track of. While the Android community’s done a pretty good job of adopting microUSB across the board, Apple still plays by its own rules. That may change soon though, at least in Europe where the EU parliament is pushing for a new law that would establish a common charger for all mobile phones.

The law isn’t just about reducing consumer headaches, it’s also an environmental issue. If everyone owned just one or two chargers instead of the four or five currently needed for various smartphones, tablets, digital cameras and other devices, we could reduce waste and actually help the environment. “This new directive ends this nightmare and is also good news for the environment as it will result in a reduction of electronic waste,” said European parliament negotiator Barbara Weiler.

The most obvious choice would be to enforce a microUSB standard, since the majority of mobile devices already use those chargers. However, the switch could be an issue for Apple, which offers its own solution, as does Nokia for some of its devices like the Lumia 2520 tablet. The potential law would make life easier for consumers, but it would also make it easier to switch back and forth between different platforms, which is exactly what Apple wants to avoid.

If the law does pass, it also raises the question of whether Apple will offer two different charging standards, one in Europe and one for the rest of the world, or simply convert its entire mobile ecosystem to microUSB or whatever method is picked by the European Commission. Neither option would be particularly cheap for Apple – or consumers who have spent hundreds on Lightning accessories already – but it can’t afford to give up the entire European market either.

SOURCE

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    mas ok ung Lightning connector ng Apple.

Reversibility The ability of a Lightning plug to be inserted in either direction is seen as a convenience advantage and also reduces wear from attempts to insert the plug upside down.[16][20][23][38] If a pin on one side of a Lightning plug is damaged, it will continue to work if inserted in the other direction.[citation needed]

Lightning (connector) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Manilablock View Post
    mas ok ung Lightning connector ng Apple.

Reversibility The ability of a Lightning plug to be inserted in either direction is seen as a convenience advantage and also reduces wear from attempts to insert the plug upside down.[16][20][23][38] If a pin on one side of a Lightning plug is damaged, it will continue to work if inserted in the other direction.[citation needed]

Lightning (connector) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Well pwede namang tignan muna bago isalpak.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    meron naman nabibiling charger with multiple sockets for android and apple.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    ung Nokia chargers noon ok din,

One Plug Fits All, pasok kahit sa earphones

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Chargers are not the problem anymore since all uses a USB port, so you can plug any cable, be it a micro USB or the Lightning cord, to charge your phone.

I heard about this legislation 4 years ago but since the chargers have been addressed, the cables themselves are the remaining issue which I guess is too minuscule to become an environmental issue.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. Kind of a pointless rule. I can charge my GoPro, Cellphone, and iPod on the same brick.

While I like the universality of micro-USB, Apple has the right to sell their own chargers... and their connectors are arguably easier to use and more reliable than regular USB.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    how about the ampere, one charger may fit all, pero some certain device will charge the whole day because of the lower ampere, while some device would not charge because of higher ampere. sana gawing universal ang fast charging 2 ampere.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

Not all batteries are created the same iba-iba rin ang capacity. Kaya different din ung charging capacity ng battery chargers.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    much better kung wireless na lang...sana mag mura

or somnething like what we use on vaping,
    xstar and nitecore chargers
    multi chemistry,so kahit anung battery type solb and regardless sa capacity i ccharge niya...9right now it also doubles as my powerbank for phones)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast