New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the clarification. Since lifetime warranty ang HP access switches, parts availability won't be a hassle??

-------
    To TS
    Also, you should consider transceiver support of your prospect switch.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicle View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. Since lifetime warranty ang HP access switches, parts availability won't be a hassle??.
    Unless the switch is modular, they will replace the whole unit.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Di namin afford mag all-Cisco sir...we're even thinking about deploying(gasp) D-Link for the smaller offices. Will check with our network team regarding the CLI/interoperability. Thanks😀

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Di namin afford mag all-Cisco sir...we're even thinking about deploying(gasp) D-Link for the smaller offices. Will check with our network team regarding the CLI/interoperability. Thanks😀
    It's not a requirement naman. Use what you can. I'm just stating potential issues... parang Mac vs PC lang. Both can do pretty much the same thing but the manner they're done can be quite different.

In my home, I use a couple of D-Link switches (DGS-1210-20 Web Smart Switch). My wireless network is from Ubiquiti (3x UAP-AC-LR and 1x UAP-AC-Pro).

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Advisable ba bumili ng refurbished Cisco 3560 for my home lab? i just want to play around with configuration. A quick check reveals naka EOL na siya last year. The SG300 is cheaper and newer pero limited features din.

Me local source kaya? tia

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Advisable ba bumili ng refurbished Cisco 3560 for my home lab? i just want to play around with configuration. A quick check reveals naka EOL na siya last year. The SG300 is cheaper and newer pero limited features din.

Me local source kaya? tia
    When you say lab, is this for a Cisco lab in preparation for a Cisco cert, or just lab in general (ie. working with Windows Server and/or Linux, to develop apps or whatnot)?

For the former, yes, the 3560 is still a capable switch to practice on. It runs full IOS and depending on the feature set you've installed, can pretty much practice anything that will likely turn up in your exam. The cert exams don't usually rely on the latest and greatest hardware anyway.

The only thing to note is that the 3560 (most models) only have 10/100 ports. When working with certain features like STP, port costs and such, a port running 1000 mbps would have a lower port cost and will have an effect on root switch election, among others. So be wary of that in case it pops up in your exam.

The SG300, though also a managed switch, should not be used when studying for Cisco certs. But as a basic switch in a lab to practice the other things I mentioned, it should be ok.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ^ thank you for the advice sir, very much appreciated. Hindi naman for exam per se, para masanay ako uli sa IOS(cli)

8. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    GNS3 or at the least packet tracer kung sanayan lang sa cli.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    full featured ba yung cisco vm sir?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Not full featured sa packet tracer.
    Sa gns3, that depends kung may ios ka

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast