New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Guys what do you recommend? i hear HP is offering a lifetime warranty for their network switches, but i am getting conflicting feedback -- some say that warranty is good as long as the model is not EOL yet, although i've had HP resellers saying they will replace it with newer models of approximate capacity.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I'm a Cisco guy. At the core, hands down Cisco. On the edge, your choice, Cisco or HPE. Wireless, again it's a toss between Cisco Meraki or HPE Aruba.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    If edge switches, pede hp or huawei.
    Hp's cli commands is almost the same as cisco's.
    While huawei tends to be a little bit different but the concept is the same.

Another option is brocade (dont know if they are still alive).

At the core, i agree with oj88. Just stay with cisco.

Haven't used juniper so i cant comment on them.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I work extensively with Cisco equipment (since 2002). The good thing about them is that the commands are consistent among most of their network devices running IOS... routers, layer-2, and multi-layer switches. You just have to learn one command environment.

HPE edge switches has the advantage of being cheaper than an equivalent Cisco Catalyst access switch. But mixing them together can be challenging, especially when troubleshooting network issues. It's bad enough that there will be situations when switches of the same brand might exhibit odd behaviors. This is compounded when you have a multi-vendor switch environment.... trunking to this and that, native VLANs and management VLANs getting mixed up, STP loops, MAC flapping, etc.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    ^
    All valid points, especially when you are dealing with mac flood event.

Since eveyone knows cisco, you have more chances of solving the issue by googling it. instead of pulling your hair out trying to figure out what's the equivalent command for the non cisco devices.

Although it all depends on TS network design if he needs to have a proprietary protocol supported or not.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Totoo ba that HP will replace your switch pag nasira, forever? Am thinking about HP for the edge. An HP reseller told us about that. Am wracking my brain as to what the catch is -- perhaps there's some sort of subscription/MA that you need to purchase?
    Last edited by badkuk; April 27th, 2017 at 12:55 AM.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Totoo ba that HP will replace your switch pag nasira, forever? Am thinking about HP for the edge. An HP reseller told us about that. Am wracking my brain as to what the catch is -- perhaps there's some sort of subscription/MA that you need to purchase?
    No comment actually. Pero nake sure na nasa contract yang replacement. Baka kasi sales talk lang. Tipong after certain amount of years, EOL na, tapos pipilitin ka mag renew ng contract para mapalitan.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Ang sabi naman ng rep, if the unit is EOL, they will replace with new model with closest matching specs. Pero baka style nyan is managed service.

Sabi ng Cisco reseller : hindi totoo yan! 😁

9. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Haha. Too good to be true.
    Also, note mo din na ang replacement includes major redesign and testing.

"We will replace it with closest matching specs"- alanganin yan kasi baka may feature na mawala and pag deploy mo, don mo lang malalaman na wala pala ung kelangan mo.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicle View Post
    Haha. Too good to be true.
    Also, note mo din na ang replacement includes major redesign and testing.

"We will replace it with closest matching specs"- alanganin yan kasi baka may feature na mawala and pag deploy mo, don mo lang malalaman na wala pala ung kelangan mo.
    The lifetime warranty is real.

No service contract required. The only catch is that you're only covered with the standard SLA, which is 30-45 days replacement TAT. If you require a higher SLA (ie. 24x7x4, 8x5xNBD, etc.), that's the time you'll need a service contract.

Only certain HPE switches have lifetime warranties, such as the 1900, 2900, 5400, and 3800 series*.

Their bigger/core switches that were originally acquired from 3Com (ie. 5700, 7000 series, etc.*) only have a standard 1-year warranty.

When a switch reaches EoL and becomes defective, for as long as you are the original owner of the equipment, HPE will replace it with an equivalent model that is of a newer or current generation. It's always going to be the newer/better closest match, not the other way around.

These are probably the only two good reasons to use HPE edge/access switches; Lifetime warranty and lower outright cost. But from a perspective of functionality and ease of management, it's always better to deploy a homogeneous environment. Cisco wins that battle by miles because even if you use all HP switches from the core to the edge, the older 3Com switches at the core uses a different CLI from the more current HP-developed switches. It can be very frustrating at times.

*Note: The list of models are just from the top of my head. I can't certify on its accuracy.
    Last edited by oj88; April 27th, 2017 at 12:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast