New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hi peeps,

this has ben bugging me for a while now: if you use a black background, be it CRT or LCD, does your monitor consume less power, i.e. pag black ba ung area/pixel, is it switched off?

also, say you open a web page filled with flash objects; once you minimize the page, do the flash objects still run in the background, hence eating up power?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sabi nga nila mas tipid daw yung black. may thread rin ata about don sa black version ng google. was it blackle? google style pa rin pero black nga lang yung background.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sabi nga nila mas tipid daw yung black. may thread rin ata about don sa black version ng google. was it blackle? google style pa rin pero black nga lang yung background.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    hi peeps,

this has ben bugging me for a while now: if you use a black background, be it CRT or LCD, does your monitor consume less power, i.e. pag black ba ung area/pixel, is it switched off?

also, say you open a web page filled with flash objects; once you minimize the page, do the flash objects still run in the background, hence eating up power?
    this works with plasma tv's because to create black, the pixels in the plasma tv just turns off hence less power is consumed, to create white all the pixels will turn all the color (RGB) on. As for LCD, all pixels are on with a white light at the background. to create the colors needed there is some kind of a film (forgot the term) in front of these pixels, this film will bend the light to give the different shades of colors. So with LCD regardless of the colors, it consumes the same amount of power

regarding the flash objects, even it is in the background it still runs and consumes processing cycles and memory. there is this browser, maxthon, that all flash objects that are not in the active tab gets disabled.

well, correct me if im wrong

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    hi peeps,

Years ago, I hooked up an AMP meter to a CRT TV set.

Black or near black images used less power while a nearly white screen ate up much more power.

I haven't done a similar test with a LCD screen though but I think the power difference would be much smaller between a fully black and a fully white screen because the illumination comes from a lamp and not directly from the LCD itself. The LCD simply acts like a shutter to either let light through or not.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    if flash runs in the background, will it be in video or some type of cache memory. hindi ba illusion lang yun we're thinking na it's running in a background, pero it's not naman talaga.

regarding black, diba it's harder to produce black in an LCD, so therefore, to produce a black pixel will consume more power?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    For CRT monitor, black background saves electricity.

For LCD monitor, white background saves electricity.

That's what my former supervisor told me about the subject, that was brought up last year. He's an electrical engineer.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by siacojin View Post
    regarding the flash objects, even it is in the background it still runs and consumes processing cycles and memory. there is this browser, maxthon, that all flash objects that are not in the active tab gets disabled.

well, correct me if im wrong
    correct, however, this command is for both flash and javascripts under cpu saving mode.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    For CRT monitor, black background saves electricity.

For LCD monitor, white background saves electricity.

That's what my former supervisor told me about the subject, that was brought up last year. He's an electrical engineer.
    This is correct. In addition, wattage wise, the CRT monitor with black background save more than LCD with white background. But ... and a big but ... a CRT with black background still consumes more power than an LCD at its maximum consumption.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

However, when I click on the screen mode of my Philips LCD TV, which in turn displays the % power consumption, I noticed that those registering lower % power consumption are screen modes that are generally darker....

6808:frenchyf1:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
energy consumption and black backgrounds