New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    The pictures were taken in a subdivision, the electricity company connected the 2 power carrying cables with the conductors exposed as shown on the pictures.

Is this the acceptable method of connecting power carrying cables in Philippines?

Attachment 37014

img_1567-.jpg

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigT View Post
    The pictures were taken in a subdivision, the electricity company connected the 2 power carrying cables with the conductors exposed as shown on the pictures.

Is this the acceptable method of connecting power carrying cables in Philippines?

Attachment 37014

img_1567-.jpg
    i'm not sure...
    is that a power cable, or is that a cable containing numerous smaller wires inside... like a telephone cable?

the exposed metal is not the electrical connection. its function might be to protect the real electrical connections hidden inside, and to manage the strain the cables are experiencing.
    Last edited by dr. d; July 14th, 2020 at 08:48 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    The uppermost line is the earth ground. It absorbs lightning discharges and protect the live wire below from fallen trees/debris. They are acceptable as long as its spliced properly. From the pic, it was spliced and crimped in a butt connector using aluminum to aluminum wire which is the proper material to avoid corrosion/ cathodic reaction due to dissimilar metals ie. splicing aluminum and copper. The loose ends should be cut but in this scenario, the technician may have decided to leave it that way for future maintenance or he plans to add another crimp to add strength.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i'm not sure...
    is that a power cable, or is that a cable containing numerous smaller wires inside... like a telephone cable?

the exposed metal is not the electrical connection. its function might be to protect the real electrical connections hidden inside, and to manage the strain the cables are experiencing.
    The uppermost wires are the hi-voltage primaries. The lower are the distribution from the transformer(balanced or unbalanced single or 3-phase). a meter below the secondary that are usually on level of the alley arm are the telco, cable, fiber optic, barangay cctv wires. Those wires may or may have no messenger wire on it, some have built-in messenger wires to suspend them without breaking the conductors.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Looks like three-phase distribution wires if they're insulated. The Philippines use a Delta-configuration so neutral is pretty much uncommon or even non-existent. If so, those wires are 'hot' and areas where insulation is stripped, should be wrapped with HV tape.

Also, ground wires, like HV transmission wires, are normally non-insulated.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Please click Attachment 37014 which shows a close up look.

The two cables on the top are cables transmitting 220V AC to the subdivision, the one immediate below is street light cable, other wires underneath are telephone, TV or fiber wires.

The cables transmitting 220V AC were originally continuous, one morning in last week, the these cables was burnt, the people of the power company came to repair and made the cables as shown on the picture, the sliver/white portions in the picture are the exposed aluminum conductors.

I think this is a substandard work, because the power company hired the cheap contractor to do the repair work and they never check the contractor's work.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigT View Post
    Please click Attachment 37014 which shows a close up look.

The two cables on the top are cables transmitting 220V AC to the subdivision, the one immediate below is street light cable, other wires underneath are telephone, TV or fiber wires.

The cables transmitting 220V AC were originally continuous, one morning in last week, the these cables was burnt, the people of the power company came to repair and made the cables as shown on the picture, the sliver/white portions in the picture are the exposed aluminum conductors.

I think this is a substandard work, because the power company hired the cheap contractor to do the repair work and they never check the contractor's work.
    I didn't notice the close-up pic. I agree... those are single-phase 220V wires (pre-meter) and then should be insulated.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I didn't notice the close-up pic. I agree... those are single-phase 220V wires (pre-meter) and then should be insulated.
    I posted two pictures, but only one appears.

.jpg