New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    sony loyalist here.
    ilang beses nang pinagawa yung 17 year old flatscreen crt ko..
    i guess it's not so much the tibay, as it is the fix-ability..

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Hi Cathy,

The difference between LCD and LED is that LED is a type of LCD technology. In other words, all LED displays are LCDs but not all LCDs and LEDs. The main difference is the type of light sourced being used with the latter using LED diodes while the other is usually a CFL backlight.

A great read for this is CNET's take on it: LED LCD vs. plasma vs. LCD - CNET

When it comes to branding, ganito lang yan. The giants in the industry is Samsung Electronics (#1), LG Electronics (#2) followed by the smaller players like Sony, Sharp, etc. Are all of these the same? Roughly speaking - almost. For example, you'll be surprised that some LG models use Samsung's flat panel displays and vice versa. This is because there's a limited amount of actual flat panel display manufacturers who "manufactures" the actual display. Again, the largest among these is Samsung followed by LG. Sony, who has been bleeding cash for years, has already sold their panel manufacturing and outsources their display to Taiwan's AU Optronics which is a merger of Acer and BenQ way way back.

This "vertical integration" is one of the reasons why I heavily favor Samsung in my room. Although they do have a price premium at least I have the quality assurance of #1 behind it. Sony is also relatively expensive because brand-wise, Sony did pioneer TV sets and this perception is still highly prevalent today.

For the smaller manufacturers like MyView, Prestigz, Devant, etc. these are mainly Chinese manufacturing companies who churn out TVs en-masse with the intention of capturing the lower-end of the market (where prices are more sensitive). One of the largest among these is actually Skyworth which is an OEM manufacturer of TV sets of known brands. For example, if Samsung Electronics is trying to introduce a new model and needs additional capacity to produce these they outsource some of their production to Skyworth.

I will urge you that reliability is highly subjective. For example, a friend might have a problem with Samsung sets but have a good experience with Panasonic. However, the inverse can also be said. It is generally accepted that known manufacturers are better in "reliability" due to better quality control and "branding" than your standard Chinese display manufacturers. Whether the premium is worth it is really wholly up to the buyer.

TV sizes has generally gone up. While in 2003 most TV sizes were of 32" varieties (and these were considered expensive na then) nowadays the "norm" seems to be 40". My suggested screen size is the size you are comfortable with and get the next size bigger. It might be dizzy to look at for the first few days but your eyes will be accustomed to the dimensions soon enough. Funny as it is, my primary desktop screen monitor is actually a Samsung 32" full-array LED TV display. Everybody who has seen it will claim "holy crap, it's a giant" but really.. I love typing in it and it fills out my field of vision quite nicely.

If you want to know the cheapest, you need to search of Sights and Sounds. They're formerly situated in Shangri-La Plaza but due to the ongoing renovation, they're "shop-less" as of now. However to people familiar in the industry knows that SnS has the "more volume, lowest cost" policy among TV retailers and truly ships out a huge number of TV sets daily. Although they also sell some home audio goodies, their forte is their television distribution. The manager is Sir Vic and you can probably contact them through their FB for updates.

Hope this helps Cathy!
    Last edited by jhnkvn; July 12th, 2014 at 12:58 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Hi Cathy,

The difference between LCD and LED is that LED is a type of LCD technology. In other words, all LED displays are LCDs but not all LCDs and LEDs. The main difference is the type of light sourced being used with the latter using LED diodes while the other is usually a CFL backlight.

A great read for this is CNET's take on it: LED LCD vs. plasma vs. LCD - CNET

When it comes to branding, ganito lang yan. The giants in the industry is Samsung Electronics (#1), LG Electronics (#2) followed by the smaller players like Sony, Sharp, etc. Are all of these the same? Roughly speaking - almost. For example, you'll be surprised that some LG models use Samsung's flat panel displays and vice versa. This is because there's a limited amount of actual flat panel display manufacturers who "manufactures" the actual display. Again, the largest among these is Samsung followed by LG. Sony, who has been bleeding cash for years, has already sold their panel manufacturing and outsources their display to Taiwan's AU Optronics which is a merger of Acer and BenQ way way back.

This "vertical integration" is one of the reasons why I heavily favor Samsung in my room. Although they do have a price premium at least I have the quality assurance of #1 behind it. Sony is also relatively expensive because brand-wise, Sony did pioneer TV sets and this perception is still highly prevalent today.

For the smaller manufacturers like MyView, Prestigz, Devant, etc. these are mainly Chinese manufacturing companies who churn out TVs en-masse with the intention of capturing the lower-end of the market (where prices are more sensitive). One of the largest among these is actually Skyworth which is an OEM manufacturer of TV sets of known brands. For example, if Samsung Electronics is trying to introduce a new model and needs additional capacity to produce these they outsource some of their production to Skyworth.

I will urge you that reliability is highly subjective. For example, a friend might have a problem with Samsung sets but have a good experience with Panasonic. However, the inverse can also be said. It is generally accepted that known manufacturers are better in "reliability" due to better quality control and "branding" than your standard Chinese display manufacturers. Whether the premium is worth it is really wholly up to the buyer.

TV sizes has generally gone up. While in 2003 most TV sizes were of 32" varieties (and these were considered expensive na then) nowadays the "norm" seems to be 40". My suggested screen size is the size you are comfortable with and get the next size bigger. It might be dizzy to look at for the first few days but your eyes will be accustomed to the dimensions soon enough. Funny as it is, my primary desktop screen monitor is actually a Samsung 32" full-array LED TV display. Everybody who has seen it will claim "holy crap, it's a giant" but really.. I love typing in it and it fills out my field of vision quite nicely.

If you want to know the cheapest, you need to search of Sights and Sounds. They're formerly situated in Shangri-La Plaza but due to the ongoing renovation, they're "shop-less" as of now. However to people familiar in the industry knows that SnS has the "more volume, lowest cost" policy among TV retailers and truly ships out a huge number of TV sets daily. Although they also sell some home audio goodies, their forte is their television distribution. The manager is Sir Vic and you can probably contact them through their FB for updates.

Hope this helps Cathy!
    Is there anything you don't know about? I am impressed!

I heard about sights and sounds. It's too bad they don't have a brick and mortar store now

4. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I am deciding between Anson's or Abenson's kasi.
    Sa anson ka nalang bumili mas mura kesa sa abenson. Sa anson pag cash me discount at puede humirit na sagad na discount.

Sa tv devant led maganda quality at mura na at me mga USB slot if me mga movies ka ba download, hdmi etc sa panahon kc ngayon mabilis din sila upgrade. Di naman natin kailangan mga smart tv masyado mahal.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    There is a huge Anson nga across Landmark.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    ^ di pa ko naka try dyn sa cash & carry at atc alabang ako nabili. Pero mostly sa atc ako nabili kc mas mura bigay sa akin suki na ko dun minsan nag compare ako cash & carry. Pero Kung pricing bet anson at abenson mas mura ang anson. Nag extra disc lng ako Kung anson vs iba anson branch hehe

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    They don't have one anymore? What happened to the one in Shang 5th floor?
    Sir Vic gives out good deals - that's where I bought my family's 37" led tv 4 years ago.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    +Samsung. Kapag magkakatabi yung various brands mas nagagandahan ako sa video quality ng Samsung compared to Sony, LG, Sharp, etc.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Anyone here know where I can buy ultra hd TV 60"... or projectors 120" ultra hd na din? Na malaki ang discount like 40 percent...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    There is a huge Anson nga across Landmark.

there's an anson's atop cash n carry. i find it more convenient because of the location (less traffic for me), easier parking, and generally "less intimidating" than the larger one beside landmark mkti.
    and it's an open secret, you can still get a few bucks off the sticker price in anson's, just by asking for it..
    but you do have to check and compare prices. may mas mura sa ansons. mayroon ding mas mahal..
    Last edited by dr. d; July 12th, 2014 at 08:29 AM.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast