New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I tried reading about your motherboard but i can't find one page that says it supports dual channel ram.

Ergo,

Replace your board. Good but cheap is Foxconn with 945 chipset, if you still need the onboard video, it has a version that has one too.

then get a pair for DDR2-667 RAMs to make 1GB or 2GB. Standard nowadays is 2GB.

As for your former board and ram, you can sell them or give them to your kins or siblings.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    You're confusing your terms. Double-sided and single-sided refer to memory DENSITIES, not bandwidth. And I think you mean DDR2-1333, which is very rare and expensive (at the moment).

Double sided memory is NOT dual channel memory.

The difference between single sided and double sided RAM (ceteris paribus) is that the former has HIGHER DENSITY CHIPS than the other. They both run at the same speed!

Two single sided modules running dual-channel will run at the same speed as two double-sided modules running dual-channel.

There's no need to look for double-sided chips or whatnot to run full-speed dual-channel. Just pair two IDENTICAL sticks of RAM.

"Dual-channel memory" is nothing but a marketing term used to sell a pair of sticks that are guaranteed to run in dual-channel (usually with a corresponding "dual-channel friendly" warranty). If you bought a dual-channel kit and the modules were double-sided, that has nothing to do with "bandwidth" and "full speed" and is purely coincidental. Note that most high-capacity modules tend to be double-sided anyway (due to manufacturing/technological considerations).
    Oh yes sir I got confused since my supplier who listed this item....

Model: Kingston 1 GB
    SRP: 4,930.00
    SIZE: 2 x 512 MB
    CHANNEL: Dual
    DDR: 533
    LATENCY: 2.5-6-3-3

may actually be a "kit" as you said with all the marketing hullabaloo you describe and as I researched the exact product... it could be this one...

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR533D2N4K2_1G.pdf

thus showing a high capacity module being single sided...

Anyway I may not be the only one confused... I think there really is a DDR3-1333... just google DDR3 and you will get this sample articles...

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=29669
    http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/25/mi...s_ddr3_memory/

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    I tried reading about your motherboard but i can't find one page that says it supports dual channel ram.

Ergo,

Replace your board. Good but cheap is Foxconn with 945 chipset, if you still need the onboard video, it has a version that has one too.

then get a pair for DDR2-667 RAMs to make 1GB or 2GB. Standard nowadays is 2GB.

As for your former board and ram, you can sell them or give them to your kins or siblings.

OK, STICK NA LANG PALA AKO SA SINGLE CHANNEL. wala pa budget para sa bagong MOBO

tnx for the info bro

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316 View Post
    Oh yes sir I got confused since my supplier who listed this item....

Model: Kingston 1 GB
    SRP: 4,930.00
    SIZE: 2 x 512 MB
    CHANNEL: Dual
    DDR: 533
    LATENCY: 2.5-6-3-3

may actually be a "kit" as you said with all the marketing hullabaloo you describe and as I researched the exact product... it could be this one...

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR533D2N4K2_1G.pdf

thus showing a high capacity module being single sided...

Anyway I may not be the only one confused... I think there really is a DDR3-1333... just google DDR3 and you will get this sample articles...

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=29669
    http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/25/mi...s_ddr3_memory/
    It is indeed a kit... according to the text I bolded above the memory is sold as a pair. And yes, they're single-sided.

DDR3 does exist, but at the moment only as engineering samples. DDR2-1333 on the other hand, is high-end "overclocker" RAM that is very expensive.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    False. Even one-sided modules can be used as a pair in a dual-channel setup.

Also, hindi naman kelangan na bumili ng dual-channel kit para gumana ng dual-channel. Basta pareho (as in exactly the same) yung modules gaganana yun. However, pag naka dual channel kit ka, pag nasira yung isa pwede mo palitan yung parehong module, which might make the extra few bucks worth it.
    not entirely true.

on some motherboards such as gigabytes' ga-7n400-l (for socket a amd cpus), even modules of different speeds work with a dual-channel setup (i have one working at 333mhz bus speed using 2 sticks of kingston 333mhz 256mb valuerams paired with 2 sticks of 400mhz 256mb pqi oems).

however, most recent mainstream motherboards (such as msi's k8n neo4-f for socket 939 amd cpus) specify the need for dual channel memory kits especially if you want to utilize all 4 dimm slots (i tried to setup a dual channel config with 4 sticks of 1gb 400mhz pqi oems but ended up with 333mhz single channel bus. dual channel only worked when 2 sticks of the pqi ram was used - no such problem encountered using 2 pairs of corsair dual channel xms modules). have yet to try a 4 dimm setup on msi's p965 platinum for intel socket 775 cpus. so far it's behaving like the k8n neo-4.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by evs_13 View Post
    OK, STICK NA LANG PALA AKO SA SINGLE CHANNEL. wala pa budget para sa bagong MOBO

tnx for the info bro
    I think sir based on your specs I will do 2 things...

1) Overclock your Pentium D 805 since according to Tom's they are ideal for overclocking up to 3.8-4.0Ghz... but probably a 3.4Ghz is fine for you...

2) Change your video card to an AGP Geforce 6600, or Radeon X800, X1300 or X1600... no bottleneck on your bus since its 128-bit pero since its a 5200... its part of the low end spectrum of cards.... kaya real upgrade ang mid-end cards from Nvidia & ATI.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    DDR3 does exist, but at the moment only as engineering samples. DDR2-1333 on the other hand, is high-end "overclocker" RAM that is very expensive.
    I guess your looking at non-standard memory modules like the OCZ as the industry is sure to use the DDR3 specs when they release their 1066 and 1333 counterparts... Oh well gamers will be gamers...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
dual channel setup