New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    is it really that critical for everyday use, or are "typical" laptops ok? i'm intending it to replace my home pc, and i really don't expect to lug it around too much, except around the house and the occassional meetings.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    If you won't lug it around that much, imho, I'd just buy a nice laptop holder/cooler for the additional cost.

I also bought a desktop-replacement laptop recently because space is a problem and I move alot. It becomes really hot when converting videos or running cpu heavy applications so an aluminum type cooler is a relief. just buy a hard case/heavy duty bag na lang para safe ang laptop.
    Last edited by Negus; May 24th, 2009 at 07:05 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    How much more expensive are mag-alloy lappys? If it's not too much, it may be well worth it. The thing with plastic is that, no matter how careful you handle them, most of them would still crack over time due to thermal cycling and the daily rigors of opening and closing the lid. Mag-alloys are more resilient, have better thermal conductivity and usually lasts the useful life of the laptop.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    is it really that critical for everyday use, or are "typical" laptops ok? i'm intending it to replace my home pc, and i really don't expect to lug it around too much, except around the house and the occassional meetings.
    The alloy frame is not really that important for typical use which includes daily transport to/from home/office.

Where the alloy frame would come in useful is when you would be using the laptop in the field like construction site, site survey or where-ever a rugged version of a laptop would be required by the job.

IF you are concerned about your laptop during transport, i would suggest a good padded laptop bag to protect your laptop.

I have a netbook which obviously have a plastic chassis. My bag is a moderately padded messenger bag. When I put it in the car, I occasionally just toss the bag into the back seat. My netbook comes out none the worst. Generally laptops, notebooks and netbooks are pretty rugged and would survive small drops and bumps with no problem as long as the PC is OFF or in hibernate or sleep mode (hard disk is parked).

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    How much more expensive are mag-alloy lappys? If it's not too much, it may be well worth it. The thing with plastic is that, no matter how careful you handle them, most of them would still crack over time due to thermal cycling and the daily rigors of opening and closing the lid. Mag-alloys are more resilient, have better thermal conductivity and usually lasts the useful life of the laptop.
    additional $600, as mentioned here:
    http://www.cooltoyzph.com/viewitem.php?iid=636
    prices might have gone down since introduced.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    IF you are concerned about your laptop during transport, i would suggest a good padded laptop bag to protect your laptop.
    ...actually i'm more concerned with my pamangkins messing around with it.
    i doubt if even the thinkpads are completely kid-proof B)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    ...actually i'm more concerned with my pamangkins messing around with it.
    i doubt if even the thinkpads are completely kid-proof B)
    Well, small kids shouldn't have access to your work computer. Accidents do happen.

Best to let them have access to another PC which they can do whatever they wish.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Well, small kids shouldn't have access to your work computer. Accidents do happen.

Best to let them have access to another PC which they can do whatever they wish.

point taken B)

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    New Macbook Aluminums are coming this June... you might wanna get that instead of windoze...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

My "regular" T61 is on almost 24 hours a day, doing all sorts of stuffs.... No issue so far after ~2years....

8000:borg1:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
do i really need the magnesium alloy frame in thinkpads?