New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Minsan I download mga shows etc. while browsing, I noticed that DSL speed slows down a lot.....does downloading affect overall speed of the DSL?

and kung nakakabit siya sa 3 computers, all running and DSL connected at the same time..babagal din ba and DSL speed? Dapat ba maganda router mo?

I'm on plan 2995 with pldt tapos kabit computer ng mga anak ko sabi kasi pldt na higher plan is better if you will connect to multiple computers.

If yes to both questions, what can I do to improve speed?

do I need to get a new router? what brand?

Thanks guys!

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Downloading large files can certainly affect the speed. If you have three computers a router is your best bet as not to compromise the speed. Cnet is a good brand. I have 5 computers connected to my DSL all playing RPG games but the speed is still okay but once one computer download a song or any other file from the net it becomes laggy.

even if using a router, pag sabay sabay bukas yan babagal-->example:

line mo is> up 384kbps
    routed # of computers sa network mo > 10
    pag buhay lahat compute mo is: line mo/# of routed computers=est speed for each PC-->384/10=38.4kbps nalang!

depende sa line mo po, pag 384kbps lang mga 3-5 ok lang..
    pag 716kps, kahit 10 ok pa
    pag 1mbps, 15 ok pa
    2mbs, 20-25 siguro...

router i recommend is linksys, eto gamit ko, be sure lang sa may medyo mahagnin mo siya ilagay, prone sa init kasi, pero easy to use yan!

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by maop99 View Post
    Minsan I download mga shows etc. while browsing, I noticed that DSL speed slows down a lot.....does downloading affect overall speed of the DSL?
    Depends. For example in my case, if total aggregate download speed is around 20 to 30 KB/s, a slow down should not be noticeable when doing internet surfing/browsing. If total aggregate download speed is like around 90-100 + KB/s, slow down is noticeable. Take note the figures/numbers I have just cited may vary with yours', bec. the current available speed for each subscriber varies or fluctuates just like electricity. If the connection for the day is bad, even without a file downloads, internet browsing could still be slow. It is subjective.

and kung nakakabit siya sa 3 computers, all running and DSL connected at the same time..babagal din ba and DSL speed? Dapat ba maganda router mo?
    It depends. If they are all connected and simple internet browsing is all the users of the individual computers are doing (no file downloads), then there should be no noticeable slow down in the internet browsing speed.

I'm on plan 2995 with pldt tapos kabit computer ng mga anak ko sabi kasi pldt na higher plan is better if you will connect to multiple computers.

If yes to both questions, what can I do to improve speed?

do I need to get a new router? what brand?

Thanks guys!
    Don't you connect/share internet connections with each computer, using a router? If so, there's no need to buy a new router. And buying a new router will not improve your download speeds.

Linksys is a good brand for a router, but some people will initially have hard time or a bit of tinkering (setting wise) to get it to work smoothly.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    If you use a router, you can define the bandwidth allocation per computer (MAC Address or IP Address on QoS).

For example:

50% Bandwidth for you.
    30% for Computer 1
    20% for Computer 2

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    wow, hirap pala...i mean I have to configure everything again when I get a new router...my router is zyxel...I do not know how good or bad this router is...a technician did everything for me....I always thought plug and play lang mga router....

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by HIFI View Post
    If you use a router, you can define the bandwidth allocation per computer (MAC Address or IP Address on QoS).

For example:

50% Bandwidth for you.
    30% for Computer 1
    20% for Computer 2
    Pano gawin ito on a Linksys router?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    same question as boybi... kasi nagkakainan ng bandwidth pag walang allocation eh.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Pano gawin ito on a Linksys router?
    Which Linksys router? I've never seen any low-end consumer grade Linksys with a QoS/Bandwidth control setting.

Kung naka WRT54G(S) (V4 or lower) or WRT54GL ka, you can flash to a third party firmware with the bandwidth control options, though your warranty will be voided and there is a chance your router will be bricked (dead).

Also, if you have access to all computers connecting through the router, you can individually install a bandwidth limiting program on each of them. Search Google for "bandwidth limiting" or "traffic shaping" there are plenty of these things around.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    we just recently installed a linksys router last week sa cofee shop ng wife ko, ayuszzz nman hehe, wired network ung sa office tapos pde mag wireless sa labas...pde na sila mag offer ng libreng wifi hehe sa coffee shop nila, tutal d nman gano nagagamit din ung internet pag sa office lang

do downloading and multiple computers affect dsl speed?