New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hope someday they could market a hybrid or electric engine to convert our current cars.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    hope someday they could market a hybrid or electric engine to convert our current cars.
    Actually, we can already convert existing cars to hybrid or pure electric. The problem is the cost of converting them is prohibitive and outweighs the gains.

It's an interesting conversion. However, if I were going to do a hybrid conversion myself I would go with hub-motors for traction because of their space-saving properties.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    It's an interesting conversion. However, if I were going to do a hybrid conversion myself I would go with hub-motors for traction because of their space-saving properties.
    Hub motors are space saving but they are much more expensive (when I last checked) and require quite a bit of machining to fit them in the wheel hubs. Also direct drive (motor to wheel) may not be the best way to get the most mechanical advantage from the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Hub motors are space saving but they are much more expensive (when I last checked) and require quite a bit of machining to fit them in the wheel hubs. Also direct drive (motor to wheel) may not be the best way to get the most mechanical advantage from the motor.
    I have seen some videos at YouTube featuring homemade hub-motors, not so expensive. As far as mechanical advantage goes, since friction losses would be eliminated, at least for me it seems to be a good option to consider.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    reminds me of this thing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfNfwNWWphI]‪Top Gear Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust electric car driven by autocar.co.uk‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

DIY Hybrid (Bio-Diesel/Electric) Car