New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    First thing you should do is cancel your CC, tell your bank to cancel the transaction, and then dispute with Paypal...

Disputing Unauthorized Transactions on Paypal | YugaTech | Philippines, Technology News & Reviews

June 08, 2011

So my Paypal account was hacked at exactly 10:01am this morning. In the many years that I have been doing online transactions, I’ve gotten used to frauds and hacks but this one from Paypal (Unauthorized Transaction) is the biggest so far.

Just woken up before 10am this morning and was checking the blog when I received an email alert from Paypal (thanks to the GMail pop-up alert plugin). The heading says something like “Password Reset” so I immediately logged into my email and check what it was.

Realizing that someone tried to submit a “Forgot Password” request, I went to Paypal and logged in. After 2 failed attempts, I concluded someone got in and changed my password. But how? First came to mind was one of the email accounts attached to my Paypal account was hacked and used to reset the password.

Knowing that my GMail is still working (and is my primary Paypal account), I hurriedly went and did another password reset. Good thing I had my bank account details ready.

After being able to log back again, I found that funds were transferred to another account (that was fast! it only took him minutes). Unfortunately, it was a sizable amount.

The first thing I did was remove all the other email accounts linked to Paypal so the hacker can’t request another password change. I also changed my passwords and details.

I then filed for Dispute with Paypal. I thought this would be easy and will be resolved in my favor. Besides, I am the one claiming the transaction was un-authorized — the burden is on the recipient to prove otherwise. I had confidence it will be alright and done with.

Around 30 to 45 minutes later, I received an email from Paypal stating the transaction is valid. What? The recipient had a Non-US, Un-verified account. Paypal did not give any details why they decided against the claimant (me) and approved the transaction and closed the dispute.

There was no other way to re-open the case so I tried calling Paypal US but the Web PIN they gave me doesn’t work and I could not get thru.

Still thinking of ways to re-open that dispute. Will update once I get things cleared.

Update: Hacker got back again using password reset. They also changed my primary email so I am locked out now (it looks like they added a new email, onlinebuys*yahoo.com, and then made it primary email then deleted my email accounts). Already send an email to PayPal support, DMed *AskPaypal and tried calling the US number many times to no avail.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I actually won a dispute in paypal. inquired a product in china thru email and was provided complete details. paid thru paypal and after a few days dumating yung items. unfortunately mali yung 1 item. took pictures of the wrong item send details to seller. i had to argue with the seller that the item is not the same as the one i ordered. had no choice but to file a complaint. after a few weeks my payment was refunded to my account. that's $70 worth of items na libre.

Disputing Unauthorized Transactions on Paypal