New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Save for the few dozen people in TPC who actually care about hardware, an expensive PC doesn't really impress anyone.

If they wanted to impress people, they'd do better by actually getting a good education instead of bragging about a PC that'll be obsolete in 2 years.

Of course it's their (parents') money, so they can do what they want with it. But nasasayangan lang ako.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    what's the point of computational power?

1. for a multimedia PC, computational power is everything because it's essential for rendering and processing audio/video samples.
    2. for a gaming PC, it's needed to run games that run on crytek, frostbite, unreal engine
    3. for a 3D modeling enthusiast, I need it so I can render models with lots of polygons
    4. as a workstation pc, it's needed so your PC won't die from running macros (lol)
    5. mechanical keyboard master race

it's just so much more versatile

why pentium anniversary edition chip you say? because I'm an idiot who spent more on watercooling

and 2 cores are enough, to be honest.

it's the gpu that handles most of heavy lifting any way for 50% of my "work/hobby"
    Last edited by safeorigin; January 7th, 2016 at 01:10 AM.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    what's the point of computational power?

1. for a multimedia PC, computational power is everything because it's essential for rendering and processing audio/video samples.
    2. for a gaming PC, it's needed to run games that run on crytek, frostbite, unreal engine
    3. for a 3D modeling enthusiast, I need it so I can render models with lots of polygons
    4. as a workstation pc, it's needed so your PC won't die from running macros (lol)
    5. mechanical keyboard master race

it's just so much more versatile

why pentium anniversary edition chip you say? because I'm an idiot who spent more on watercooling

and 2 cores are enough, to be honest.

it's the gpu that handles most of heavy lifting any way for 50% of my "work/hobby"
    Yes, it's true that in those specialized uses, a faster CPU is always welcome. But let's look at the bigger picture here - out of all computer users in the world, how many have such demands for their computers?

Even just looking at the sample size of those who've replied to this thread, the vast majority do not require a high-end CPU. What more those who aren't interested in computers (and aren't likely power users either).

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I just built my 3rd desktop 3 years ago. Bago yan, naka laptop na ko from 2008 up to mid 2012 (Asus N43). Kaso when I started into taking videos for events and weddings, sobrang bitin and I decided na bumuo ng isang video editing desktop

Here's the specs:
    Intel i7 4770k (previously 3770k but mobo went kaput)
    Asus z87 deluxe (dating ASRock z77 extreme 6)
    16gb Ripjaws X 1866
    2x 128gb Samsung 830 SSD on RAID 1
    1 TB WD black
    1 TB WD blue
    Asus GTX 680 DC2 TOP 2gb GPU

Last edited by testament11; January 7th, 2016 at 06:52 AM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I have a feeling na buo pa naman ang previous processor ko. Sayang naman at i7 din yun processor. Kelangan lang niya ng isang previous gen na mobo

6. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Still got my Sempron 140 with amd780g chipset and slight OC from 2.7GHz to 3.01GHz. Onboard graphics for playing old games when I have the time (Torchlight 2 anyone?). Primarily used for school projects and web browsing/spotify by my daughter. Last upgrade I did for it was putting in a Transcend 120GB SSD and the last thing I replaced is an 18.5" LED monitor.

I'll probably set up another low-spec desktop when it eventually breaks down kasi sayang yung maiiwang parts and peripherals. It's also easier to swap out parts that wear out like the keyboard (faded keys and accumulated grime), monitor, and hard drive.

sent via Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KenGarcia View Post
    Exactly. Parang yung isang young lady (Pinay) na fan ng one direction. Makanood lang ng concert ipinambili ung pang tuition ng concert ticket. Nung tinanong ng nag iinterview paano nya daw mababayaran ung tuition fee nya ang sagot bahala na daw.

Kung ako magulang at ganyan gawin sakin ng anak ko I'll tell her na wag muna magpakita ng ilang araw sakin or else...

Minsan kasi ang expensive desktops parang expensive cars din, pang show off lang ng iba. And meron din akong mga kakilala na naka Gaming Laptop pero pang web browsing and nood lang ng movies.
    A typical penny wise and pound foolish students. another claasic example is kahit na kumakalampag ang sikmua basta may pang load. naka iphone 6S nga pero pa piso-piso kung magpa load

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    I have a feeling na buo pa naman ang previous processor ko. Sayang naman at i7 din yun processor. Kelangan lang niya ng isang previous gen na mobo

Bro benta mo nalang sakin, ako nalang maghahanap ng board at RAM para diyan. Desktop PCs - Do You Still Have Them?

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    Still got my Sempron 140 with amd780g chipset and slight OC from 2.7GHz to 3.01GHz. Onboard graphics for playing old games when I have the time (Torchlight 2 anyone?). Primarily used for school projects and web browsing/spotify by my daughter. Last upgrade I did for it was putting in a Transcend 120GB SSD and the last thing I replaced is an 18.5" LED monitor.

I'll probably set up another low-spec desktop when it eventually breaks down kasi sayang yung maiiwang parts and peripherals. It's also easier to swap out parts that wear out like the keyboard (faded keys and accumulated grime), monitor, and hard drive.

sent via Tapatalk
    Bro have you tried unlocking your Sempron 140? Big jump in responsiveness with a dual-core compared to a single-core processor. If your PSU can handle it, you can even get a used Phenom X3 or X4 for under 2k.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Do home servers count?

I've got one that's been running 24/7 for like 5 years now. It's our family's media server loaded with 8 hard drives on an HBA with a collective capacity of around 16.6 TB. Basic specs includes an AMD Athlon II X4 630 CPU and 8GB of RAM. However, it's a bit weak at streaming HD to more than a few devices. So for it to be able to transcode multiple 1080p streams, I am looking at upgrading it to at least a 3rd gen i7 3770 with a Z77 board, as they're cheaper now, used, especially with Skylake (6th gen) out.

Another, an HP Microserver loaded up with ESXi, is where my router/firewall (pfSense) resides, running as a VM. I experiment a lot in this department so I actually have 3 VMs in there (another pfSense and Sophos Copernicus).

10. Join Date
    May 2014
    last desktop ko was Q6600. nung makita ko CC receipts ko in 2 years amounting to 180k (di pa kasama yung cash paid items ), bumili ako laptop tapos benta desktop
    sarap lang kasi mag OC kaya medyo na-addict ako.
    minimum of 50% at 60% stable q6600, e6600, e6300, a64 3000+ venice and more
    a few motherboards in the process ..
    max ko yata nasa 80% E6300 kaso tipong 2 minutes lang sa prime95

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast