New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    The family no longer use the desktop..

I converted one of the laptops as my desktop by connecting an LED monitor, mouse and standard keyboard..
    thus, having the mobility of a laptop when I need it and the convenience of a large screen and standard keyboard on normal days.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Using All-in-one HP desktop with wireless keyboard and mouse, intel Core i3.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Yup, my phenom rig is still alive after 5 years [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] phenom 2 x2 550be msi mobo amd radeon 7750 2TB hdd 8GB memory corsair vx450 psu

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I don't see desktops going away to be honest. mobile devices have nowhere near the computational power of a proper PC.

I posted my build here a year ago: Riesenfischuhu Ausf. AE (First Build)

(have to be registered to see the images!)

in its first iteration, I was able to reach 4.7 GHz though it's incredibly difficult to push towards 4.8. Haswells just aren't known for pushing hard numbers, but hey! That's 50% overclock from stock!

CPU-Z VALIDATOR - this was validated when I still didn't have my current GPU and temporarily used an older one.

In its current iteration, using it as a multimedia rig

Last edited by safeorigin; January 6th, 2016 at 10:17 PM.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

Curious, what's your setup that results in 5-cores? I always thought those server-class multi-CPU setups were only available as even-numbered cores. Only thing I can think of that gives a total of 5 is a tri-core Phenom and dual-core Phenom, but I don't know much about AMD setups and whether their consumer-class processors are available in multi-CPU setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh it's its not a server CPU it's just a 6-core phenom that AMD sold as a quad coz 1 core is bad. so i just unlocked that good core and overclocked everything

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Meron kami isa dito which is ako lagi gumagamit. I love desktop computers. Lagi ako nag vovolunteer to help friends or relatives sa pamimili, pagbili ng parts at pag assemble ng desktop pc nila (sinasamahan ko pa sila sa malls or gilmore). Pero transition na kami sa laptops. Aside from space saving malaking tulong ung portability. Sa games naman sa console talaga simula pa nung bata and hindi na ako comfortable na maghabol ng specs para malaro lang ung favorite game ko hehe.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boomshine View Post
    Yup, my phenom rig is still alive after 5 years [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] phenom 2 x2 550be msi mobo amd radeon 7750 2TB hdd 8GB memory corsair vx450 psu
    Ooh, the X2 550 BE, one of the best overclockers of the time. During that time though I preferred to build with X3s for the same price. What cooling do you use and what's your daily OC?

Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    I don't see desktops going away to be honest. mobile devices have nowhere near the computational power of a proper PC.

I posted my build here a year ago: Riesenfischuhu Ausf. AE (First Build)

(have to be registered to see the images!)

in its first iteration, I was able to reach 4.7 GHz though it's incredibly difficult to push towards 4.8. Haswells just aren't known for pushing hard numbers, but hey! That's 50% overclock from stock!

CPU-Z VALIDATOR - this was validated when I still didn't have my current GPU and temporarily used an older one.

In its current iteration, using it as a multimedia rig

Nice G3258, brings back memories of the high-clocking Core 2 line with 50% overclocks. My PC's a throwback machine, still running an old Q6600.

I agree that desktop CPU computing power is phenomenal compared to its mobile counterparts. The first batches of i5 laptops were still struggling to outperform the C2Q in multi-threaded workloads.

However, the question is, for 90% of users, what's the point of all that computing power? If a bloke like me can live off an 8-year old chip, then all laptop CPUs should be sufficient for the majority.

In fact, the world hasn't really cared much that CPU development has stagnated in recent years. The last huge improvement would be the i5-2500K from the i5-750 (and even then it's not as big a jump as the i5 from the Core 2 Quads or the Core 2 Duo from the Pentium D).

Yet, everyday apps aren't even able to stress out first-gen i3s (i3-540 et al). This is in stark contrast to the old Pentium 4 vs Core 2 Duo, where you could really feel the increased responsiveness of the newer processor even in mundane tasks like web browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    oh it's its not a server CPU it's just a 6-core phenom that AMD sold as a quad coz 1 core is bad. so i just unlocked that good core and overclocked everything
    Interesting that they still allowed core unlocking with the newer Phenoms. I remember building X3s before, unlocking them into X4s. Usually ran hotter than true X4s, but even a simple DeepCool cooler was usually enough to get temps to acceptable levels.

Quote Originally Posted by KenGarcia View Post
    Meron kami isa dito which is ako lagi gumagamit. I love desktop computers. Lagi ako nag vovolunteer to help friends or relatives sa pamimili, pagbili ng parts at pag assemble ng desktop pc nila (sinasamahan ko pa sila sa malls or gilmore). Pero transition na kami sa laptops. Aside from space saving malaking tulong ung portability. Sa games naman sa console talaga simula pa nung bata and hindi na ako comfortable na maghabol ng specs para malaro lang ung favorite game ko hehe.
    I know exactly how you feel, I used to be in your shoes a few years back - making builds for friends and family, shopping and assembling for them. What's your current rig?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Ooh, the X2 550 BE, one of the best overclockers of the time. During that time though I preferred to build with X3s for the same price. What cooling do you use and what's your daily OC?

Nice G3258, brings back memories of the high-clocking Core 2 line with 50% overclocks. My PC's a throwback machine, still running an old Q6600.

I agree that desktop CPU computing power is phenomenal compared to its mobile counterparts. The first batches of i5 laptops were still struggling to outperform the C2Q in multi-threaded workloads.

However, the question is, for 90% of users, what's the point of all that computing power? If a bloke like me can live off an 8-year old chip, then all laptop CPUs should be sufficient for the majority.

In fact, the world hasn't really cared much that CPU development has stagnated in recent years. The last huge improvement would be the i5-2500K from the i5-750 (and even then it's not as big a jump as the i5 from the Core 2 Quads or the Core 2 Duo from the Pentium D).

Yet, everyday apps aren't even able to stress out first-gen i3s (i3-540 et al). This is in stark contrast to the old Pentium 4 vs Core 2 Duo, where you could really feel the increased responsiveness of the newer processor even in mundane tasks like web browsing.

Interesting that they still allowed core unlocking with the newer Phenoms. I remember building X3s before, unlocking them into X4s. Usually ran hotter than true X4s, but even a simple DeepCool cooler was usually enough to get temps to acceptable levels.

I know exactly how you feel, I used to be in your shoes a few years back - making builds for friends and family, shopping and assembling for them. What's your current rig?

Student rig, i remember my mother gave me 8K pesos to fix my busted rig. Pang code, auto cad (2d), Sketchup (limited lang sa rendering) and web browsing: A6 - 5400K APU/ Gigabyte F2 A58m - DS2 Motherboard / G Skill Ripjaws 1866 2x2gb ram. Tapos Cooler Master PSU, 180gb Sata HDD, keyboard, monitor and other peripherals from my busted Athlon X2 250 rig. During my early years in CpE yun ung peak ng pagkahilig ko sa desktop pc. Graduating na ako i am still doing free pc troubleshooting and repair sa mga kakilala ko which i have been doing for the past 5-6 years i guess? Nag expand nalang kasi pati smartphones, tablets and other gadgets na may problema e sakin pinapatignan bago pagawa sa technician sa labas. Totoo lang siguro na nag iiba na ang hilig habang tumatanda. From TipidPC to Tsikot although wala pa akong kotse I am looking forward to learning a lot here and owning a real one years from now. Siguro kung meron mang hindi magbabago eh yung passion for technology
    😀😀😀

Edit: Naalala ko bigla when I was younger I promised myself na bubuo ako ng 50K pesos worth desktop rig once na magka work ako.. Pero ngayon siguro bibili nalang ako ng PS4 plus 32" LED TV kasi NBA 2K and other sports games lang naman nilalaro ko. Haha.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Speaking of student rigs, yung Show Me Your Student Rig thread sa TPC nakakaaliw.

You have guys with P100k rigs...and then studying in so-so schools. Sana pinangtuition nalang nila sa matinong school.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Speaking of student rigs, yung Show Me Your Student Rig thread sa TPC nakakaaliw.

You have guys with P100k rigs...and then studying in so-so schools. Sana pinangtuition nalang nila sa matinong school.

Exactly. Parang yung isang young lady (Pinay) na fan ng one direction. Makanood lang ng concert ipinambili ung pang tuition ng concert ticket. Nung tinanong ng nag iinterview paano nya daw mababayaran ung tuition fee nya ang sagot bahala na daw.

Kung ako magulang at ganyan gawin sakin ng anak ko I'll tell her na wag muna magpakita ng ilang araw sakin or else...

Minsan kasi ang expensive desktops parang expensive cars din, pang show off lang ng iba. And meron din akong mga kakilala na naka Gaming Laptop pero pang web browsing and nood lang ng movies.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast