New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Sorry, newbie question lang.

I just bought an HP a6640d desktop. According to the specs sa HP website, DDR2 Dual Channel memory na siya, 800mhz, tapos with 2 memory banks, pero only 1 slot is occupied.

2gigs lang kasi memory niya, tapos on-board pa yung video, so I plan on buying an additional 2 gigs of memory (para 4 gigs na siya) and a separate PCI-E video card.

Problem is, bakit yung nakikita kong dual channel memory sa websites 2 sticks? Paano pa kakasya yun eh only one memory bank is available? Puwede ba pag-haluin yung dual and single channel memory modules? Baka kasi mali ang mabili ko, sayang lang ang pagod.

Baka may PC techies dyan, patulong naman.
    Last edited by Galactus; May 9th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    You can't run dual-channel with just one stick of RAM. You'll need at least a pair of identical sticks to make it work. Otherwise, it's running in single channel mode only.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    a single stick will always be a single channel. don't be confused, any pair of identical ddr2 will give you dual channel. as long as the mobo supports dual channel. dual channel kit are just marketing hype.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    search mo muna sa google baka di supported ng board mo yung 4 gig or ram

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aga_cruz View Post
    search mo muna sa google baka di supported ng board mo yung 4 gig or ram
    It supports it. (2 x 2GB)

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the replies. Medyo nalito kasi ako sa terminology. My mobo (MSI MS-7525) can support dual channel, pero I guess since 1 stick lang nakasaksak, single channel mode nga lang siya.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    bili ka na lang ng isa pang 2Gb stick and it will switch to dual channel.

if you're using a 32-bit OS, you'll only see 3.5gb though.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    just make sure that the RAS/CAS timings nung additional memory module na bibilhin mo ay pareho nung naka-install sa desktop mo. you'll be able to quickly see yung RAS/CAS timings using cpu-z

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    try to download the free utility CPU-Z
    Makikita ninyo ang slots available and slots used in the utility and what type ang memory so you can state that when buying another RAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
DDR2 Dual Channel Memory