New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    depends if the apps are dependent on processing power...
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    mas maganda na yung mas mataas na specs.. para pang matagalan na.. tapos mga softwares like dreamweaver, etc.. tapos games.. siyempre NFS!! haha! o kaya gran turismo.. may GT ba sa pc?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    hmmm... get the AMD 12 core then

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    hmmm... get the AMD 12 core then
    ok din po ba AMD? i have no experience in using AMD processors.. and wala pa po ako nakikitang gumagamit ng AMD.. puro intel.. magkano naman po yang AMD 12 core?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    hmmm... $1200:rofl:

IMHO, AMD will always be the brand for computer nuts

but if you want something old school that's powerful enough to eat newer ones...

you might be interested with the AMD quad FX...

no multiplier... just raw power...

or in car terms...

something that's always at the rev limit
    Last edited by safeorigin; October 17th, 2010 at 05:15 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    A lot of people are very, very misinformed about computer specs.

The most important thing to note now, is that raw numbers do not indicate the true performance of a certain part.

What I hate the most is the "higher is better" mentality that people attach to CPU parts. For example, a Pentium 4 with a clock speed of 3.8 GHz is nowhere near as fast as a Core 2 Duo with only 1.8 GHz clock speed. FSB speeds and L2 Cache also follow this rule. A Pentium Dual-Core with only 800 MT/s FSB and 1 MB L2 Cache but is clocked at 2.8 GHz is faster than a Core 2 Duo with 1333 MT/s FSB and 2 MB L2 Cache but is clocked at 2.4 GHz.

The thing with processors is that clock speed/FSB/Cache size comparisons only work within the SAME ARCHITECTURE. For everything else, the best comparisons are benchmarks.

Taking the TS' 2 choices in consideration - Core 2 Duo and i3. To put it simply, the i3 is around 15% faster than a similarly clocked Core 2 Duo. I know this not because I looked at brochure numbers, but because I've read an extensive deal about them. And that's the key, research. The Nehalem architecture is faster than the Core architecture, especially in video-encoding applications.

Now, to get to the TS' point. Which processor? None of the above. Why buy an i3 when for the same price, you could get an Athlon X3 440? That thing has 3 cores, slightly lower clock speed, but is a much better overall part because it can multi-task, play games, encode, and do everything else particularly well. In fact, I personally think it renders all the more expensive processors useless. Except the i5. The i5-760 is double the X3 440's price but is much, much faster and is more future-proof for me.

Same applies to video cards, even more so. Salesmen will always brag about the amount of memory the card their selling has. Thing is, memory is not the end all and be all of video cards. It's still the architecture itself. For example, my 3 year old 3850 "only" has 256 MB VRAM. But it could beat an 8500 GT with 1 GB VRAM, even if it has 4 times the memory. Why? Almost all 8500 GTs sold have DDR2 RAM. The 3850 has GDDR3 RAM. And in performance, GDDR3 > DDR2 by a very long shot.

And please, don't bother with the packages that PC shops sell. They sell those primarily for stupid people who can't be bothered to think about their PC purchase.

How much is your budget? There are endless options available that will fit a certain budget. Here's an example of a ~30k PC that can game well enough for most:

CPU:
    AMD Athlon X3 440 (P3,440) - Best-value CPU for non-power users.

Motherboard: Asus M4A785-M (P3,510)
    - Assuming you don't overclock, this is enough. If you do, consider the Asus M4A785TD-V Evo.

Video Card:
    nVidia GTS 450 1GB (P5,520)
    - Decent video card that can game at 1920x1080. Should be more than enough as I don't think you're the heavy gamer type. If you are, consider nothing lower than the Radeon 5770.

Hard Drive:
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB (P1,950) -
    500 GB should be enough, if not, you could always get the 1GB version for 3.2k.

PSU:
    HEC Cougar 550W (P,3200) -
    Really good value PSU. Power supplies are a necessity often overlooked by shoppers.

Monitor:
    AOC e2236VW (P8,200) -
    22" monitor that's LED backlit. Other competitors are at the 10k range.

Memory:
    2 x 2 GB Kingston ValueRAM (P3,360) -
    4GB DDR3 RAM should be good enough.

CPU Case:
    Any Generic Case (~1,300) -
    This is usually good enough for most users who don't need efficient cooling. Usually comes with a free keyboard and mouse. You could always opt for the branded ones but those start at 2.2k.

DVD-Drive:
    Samsung SH-S223 24x (1,120) -
    Actually, almost all DVD-Drives are equal so just take your pick.

TOTAL COST: 31,600. You can reduce cost by getting a smaller monitor and a slower video card. Just tell me your budget and what you'll use it for and I can come up with a suggestion for you.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zner2525 View Post
    mas maganda na yung mas mataas na specs.. para pang matagalan na.. tapos mga softwares like dreamweaver, etc.. tapos games.. siyempre NFS!! haha! o kaya gran turismo.. may GT ba sa pc?
    No Gran Turismo for PC. What is your budget? You do know that PC's get obsolete every year or 2 right?

My current rig, which I bought over 3 years ago (it was budget enthusiast level at the time) for 45k is nowhere near as fast as what 45k can buy me now. You can't expect PC's to be "pang-matagalan".

Though if you mean something that would still work after a decade, well I have a 1.7 GHz Pentium 4 PC that was bought way back in 2002 IIRC. It still works, but is slow as hell for me. But then again, cheap internet cafes still uses computers with specs like these.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    thanks for the info's sir jut! you're the one that i'm looking for.. my budget is from 20-25k.. i would like to hear and follow your suggestions.. yes your right, im not that heavy gamer.. im still studying.. i just want to have a reliable pc that i can use for multi-tasking.. thanks!!

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    CPU - AMD Athlon X3 440 (P 3,440)
    Motherboard - AsRock M3A785GM-LE (P 2,730)
    Memory - 2 GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 (P 1,680)
    Hard Drive - Seagate Barrracuda 500 GB 7200.12 (P 1,950)
    Video Card - Powercolor Radeon 5570 1 GB (P 3,750)
    Monitor - Acer G195HQL 18.5" LED (P 5,980)
    PSU - FSP Blue Storm Pro 500W (P 2,490)
    Case - Generic Case of your choice (~P 1,300)
    Optical Drive - Samsung SH-S223 (P 1,120)

Total Cost: P 24,440

AMD still gives the best-value CPU at the price point. The AsRock board is very basic, and I doubt it can handle overclocking. But it can run your CPU and that's all that matters if you don't overclock. 2GB DDR3 memory is the minimum though for heavy Photoshop work you might want to consider 4 GB. The 500 GB hard drive is only 200 more than the 160 GB but 1.2k cheaper than the 1TB so it's the best value as well. 5570 can game pretty decently enough, given the 1366x768 resolution of the Acer LED LCD I recommend.

You could actually save another 2.5k by not buying a separate PSU and instead going with the generic PSU that usually comes with the case you buy. Around 75% of PCs in the Philippines run on generic PSUs anyway. But then again around 85% of computer users know nothing about the parts they buy. Personally I wouldn't, as a blown PSU can take out all your other parts as well.

Good luck with your purchase.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    hmmm... you may also want to get the cheapskate option of getting a mobo that can unlock all 4 CPU's of AMD x2...

but I'm just playing devil's advocate:rofl:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
core 2 duo or i3?