New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    i really need help with these.

My mate had his laptop and i had my desktop pc and we badly wanted to play games on LAN. the problem is how.

PC= currently smartbro connected (if the traditional rj45 direct will work i'll drop it dead). Windows XP.

Laptop(HP DV6500t)= Windows Vista. it has port like mine na kasya yung smart bro.

TIA.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Double Post..
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 24th, 2007 at 03:09 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If both laptops have 4-pin firewire, you can use that. You can also use a crossover LAN cable. Personally, I prefer the firewire method.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    If both laptops have 4-pin firewire, you can use that. You can also use a crossover LAN cable. Personally, I prefer the firewire method.
    Thanks. but im not really familiar if i have that firewire.
    and the crossover cable, is that what you also call the rj45?

thanks. pls enlighten me on this.

and one more, after i connect the cables, what should i do next?

BTW, not two laptops, a desktop XP and a vista laptop

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by imontherhythm View Post
    Thanks. but im not really familiar if i have that firewire.
    and the crossover cable, is that what you also call the rj45?

thanks. pls enlighten me on this.

and one more, after i connect the cables, what should i do next?

BTW, not two laptops, a desktop XP and a vista laptop
    A crossover cable looks like a regular RJ45 cable. But, if you look at the wiring layout at the ends, one end has a wire crossed over another to a different terminal point, hence "crossover". It's normally used to connect 2 pc's directly via the RJ45 port without needing a router.

Firewire is normally used for transferring video from a camcorder to a pc. But, it can also be used to network 2 pc's together.

Same conventions apply. Both computers have to be members of the same workgroup with filesharing enabled if you want to play multiplayer LAN games.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    A crossover cable looks like a regular RJ45 cable. But, if you look at the wiring layout at the ends, one end has a wire crossed over another to a different terminal point, hence "crossover". It's normally used to connect 2 pc's directly via the RJ45 port without needing a router.

Firewire is normally used for transferring video from a camcorder to a pc. But, it can also be used to network 2 pc's together.

Same conventions apply. Both computers have to be members of the same workgroup with filesharing enabled if you want to play multiplayer LAN games.

many many thanks..

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I personally prefer Firewire for direct pc to pc hookup because it seems easier to configure plus, it's used for transferring video which means it's a high-speed port.

If both laptop and desktop pc have firewire, I'd go with that connection. Just make sure you have the right cable since there's 3 kinds:

4-pin to 4-pin
    4-pin to 6-pin
    6-pin to 6-pin

Connecting a Vista Laptop to XP desktop