New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    All of my devices can connect to this router but only my PC ad iPads have internet while my iphone, ipod and laptop don't have internet.

Here's the setup of my network:

DSL modem --- router1 --- (bridged / wireless) --- router2 --- (utp cable) --- router3

All the the routers are wifi. Only router1 have DHCP enabled.

Only router3 has the no internet problem with some devices.

I've already restored router3 to factory settings and reconfigured it but still the problem persists.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    All of my devices can connect to this router but only my PC ad iPads have internet while my iphone, ipod and laptop don't have internet.

Here's the setup of my network:

DSL modem --- router1 --- (bridged / wireless) --- router2 --- (utp cable) --- router3

All the the routers are wifi. Only router1 have DHCP enabled.

Only router3 has the no internet problem with some devices.

I've already restored router3 to factory settings and reconfigured it but still the problem persists.
    Based on your illustration, router2 should have its gateway set to router1's IP, while router3 should have its gateway set to router2's IP.

If router1 is set to DHCP, then router2 is getting a dynamic IP, unless you set router2 to a static IP outside the DHCP range of router1. If router2 has a dynamic IP, then what IP is router3's gateway set to?

Maybe you can check from there?

BTW, I am assuming you've done preliminary troubleshooting like directly connecting router3 to the DSL modem and successfully getting internet connection, and that you've established you don't have any hardware issues.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My preference is to manually set ROUTER2's & ROUTER3's gateway setting pointed to ROUTER1's address. I think it would help decrease the lag for connections using ROUTER3.

BOYBI: is router3 that much further away from router1 that you cannot directly connect it?

Anyway, I haven't done a network setup similar to the one illustrated above. Usually it's all other routers are directly connected to a single central router.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Just for clarification, you're not using the WAN port on router2 and router3? And that they're both only setup as access points, with the routing function essentially not being used?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In which part of the router config do I set the gateway? In the WAN part?
    If yes, then do I set the WAN connection type to Static IP? Because it's only with this connection type that I can manually set the IP and gateway. But if I input the IP of router1 as the gateway, it gives a Bad WAN for Gateway IP error.

*GH, router1 is in my office across the street. router2 is placed outside the window of the room facing the office and is connected to router1 wirelessly. My room is in the other side of the house and not facing the office. The signal of router2 can't reach my room that's why I need router3.

This only happened when I changed my ISP from PLDT to Globe. The only thing that was changed was when I'm with PLDT, it was router3 which was connected to the DSL modem. Now with Globe, it's router1 that's connected to the modem.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In which part of the router config do I set the gateway? In the WAN part?
    If yes, then do I set the WAN connection type to Static IP? Because it's only with this connection type that I can manually set the IP and gateway. But if I input the IP of router1 as the gateway, it gives a Bad WAN for Gateway IP error.
    Did you use 192.168.1.xx format for both routers? You can try changing the router2 IP set to 192.168.2.xx and router3 to 192.168.3.xx to avoid conflicts. So when you set the WAN gateway in router2 and router3, you can set it to 192.168.1.xx.

Just remember to write the new address on the router's body (masking tape, post-it notes, etc) so you don't forget in the future.

*GH, router1 is in my office across the street. router2 is placed outside the window of the room facing the office and is connected to router1 wirelessly. My room is in the other side of the house and not facing the office. The signal of router2 can't reach my room that's why I need router3.

This only happened when I changed my ISP from PLDT to Globe. The only thing that was changed was when I'm with PLDT, it was router3 which was connected to the DSL modem. Now with Globe, it's router1 that's connected to the modem.
    I am assuming all routers are wifi-N type routers?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 4th, 2011 at 10:00 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'll try to change the IPs of my routers later when I get back home.

All my routers are only G-type. I used an external antenna for router2 so it can communicate better with router1.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'll try to change the IPs of my routers later when I get back home.

All my routers are only G-type. I used an external antenna for router2 so it can communicate better with router1.

In my experience, upgrading to WiFi-N type router increases the range of the signal, especially if your devices are already WiFi-N enabled. This is especially true with N-routers with multiple antennas.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Also given that WiFi-N adapters are relatively cheap, it might be worth the money to upgrade older WiFi-G stuff to the N standard.

Brand I prefer is TP-LINK. Cheap with reliability & good performance.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Did you use 192.168.1.xx format for both routers? You can try changing the router2 IP set to 192.168.2.xx and router3 to 192.168.3.xx to avoid conflicts. So when you set the WAN gateway in router2 and router3, you can set it to 192.168.1.xx.

Just remember to write the new address on the router's body (masking tape, post-it notes, etc) so you don't forget in the future.
    Thanks GH, I did what you suggested and it worked!

But I find it weird that before this, some of my devices have internet while others don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Connected to wifi but no internet