New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    The problem with solid state storage media like the SD cards you want is that it relies heavily on clean electricity to work.

If one unfortunate time line surge strikes, all that card will be is toast (and I've seen it happen).
    Not really. Just enough power stabilization to maintain a stable computer is enough to write properly. SD Cards do take their power from the motherboard.

The good thing about optical storage however is that whatever happens, all the drive has to do is read the burn patterns from a rotating disc. Even in the event of unfortunate surges, the computer and its drives can get damaged but your data remains intact.
    Optical drives are actually more sensitive to power fluctuations than SD cards. I have toasted a lot of CDRs and DVDRs because of a sudden flux of power. Having a UPS helped though.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Even if a SD card is limited to 100,000 write cycles per cell, that is still good for at least 50,000 back up cycles (erase and write with new data) per cell. Assuming one back up cycle per day, that is 50,000 days.

I guess this is the new back up path I will be implementing soon.
    Theoretically true. They have ridiculously high MTBF that they should last three lifetimes. But in reality, its reliability is only as strong as it's weakest cell (or a block of it). And in a flash memory chip that's roughly 8,000,000,000 bytes big, the chances of that looming failure happening becomes equally significant.

That's why it's still best to have 2 or more copies of your backup... just in case.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just updating... I have gone with USB flash drives as server data back up.

Three 4gig usb flash drives for Mon-Thurs / Tues-Friday / Wed-Sat.

Hopefully the USB ports in front of the server will be durable. If not, I will install a USB hub connected from behind.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Computer Data back up media