New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Ah we have alexa too and an LG smart tv. I guess its not worth investing into. though Im eyeing the new samsung split.

FOCUS

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I recently added a smart wall switch in the bedroom. It's a Broadlink TC2 3-gang smart RF switch. There are 2-gang and 1-gang variants available. It's not WiFi and requires a 433MHz RF hub, particularly, the Broadlink RM Pro+. My RM Pro+ is installed in the living room (video) where it also functions as the IR blaster for everything IR (A/C, TV, A/V Receiver, and the active bookshelf speakers).You only need one RM Pro+ to control all RF switches. For IR control inside the bedroom (TV+soundbar, and A/C), I use the Broadlink RM Mini3.

I chose the Broadlink TC2 switch because of one crucial thing: It does NOT require a Neutral line.

Fig. 1: Here's an example of a traditional WiFi smart switch that needs the presence of both the Live and Neutral wires in order for it to work. This will require an electrician to lay down a new Neutral wire to every light switch you wish to install a smart WiFi switch. At the least, this is impractical or in many homes, impossible to do without punching holes on your walls and crawl spaces:

Fig. 2: Here's a sample wiring diagram of a 3-gang Broadlink TC2, similar to mine, except that the one pictured below is the UK version. As it is plainly evident, it only requires a single Live wire, which is already in place in 100% of homes. Electrically, the TC2 is the exact equivalent of a mechanical light switch. It powers itself using parasitic current passing through it and the bulbs. What all of that means is that, you don't need to modify your house wiring to use this. It took me all of 10 minutes to swap out the old wall switch. It actually took more time to remove the old switch:

Having a physical smart wall switch offers the best of both worlds. Its ability to be controlled via app or Alexa is augmented by the tried and tested manual approach of actually turning on and off a physical wall switch. Tap on it if you're already standing by the switch, ask Alexa to do it if it's out of your reach, or use the app to control them anywhere where there's internet.

Here's the video of it in action:

Last edited by oj88; May 1st, 2018 at 03:54 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I've always thought that the Vornado 660 would've been better with a remote. So I added one.

But since it can now be controlled via 433 MHz RF, why not go all the way and use it with Alexa?

The beauty of this mod is that the original controls on the fan still works so now there's actually four ways to control it; Physical buttons, RF remote control, mobile app, and Alexa. This is how one would define excessive.

But jokes aside, with this mod, I can now incorporate it into a routine that will automatically turn it on when somebody turns on the A/C. The air circulator helps equalize the air temperature in my living room to prevent hot spots. Hot spots develop in my living room owing to the fact that it's irregularly-shaped.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I made an Alexa-enabled smart water dispenser.

I am now able to program schedules individually for hot and cold. For example, we typically only need hot water in the morning so there's no need to keep it running 24x7. As for cold water, it's needed only during the day so it's set to turn on around sunrise and off right before bedtime. In any case, both can be turned on/off independently using the physical buttons, Alexa, or the app.

The switches are Broadlink SC1. Some minor wiring modifications inside the dispenser was necessary.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I've always thought that the Vornado 660 would've been better with a remote. So I added one.

But since it can now be controlled via 433 MHz RF, why not go all the way and use it with Alexa?

The beauty of this mod is that the original controls on the fan still works so now there's actually four ways to control it; Physical buttons, RF remote control, mobile app, and Alexa. This is how one would define excessive.

But jokes aside, with this mod, I can now incorporate it into a routine that will automatically turn it on when somebody turns on the A/C. The air circulator helps equalize the air temperature in my living room to prevent hot spots. Hot spots develop in my living room owing to the fact that it's irregularly-shaped.

Kinda off topic but where can I buy a Vornado? Is it available in local appliance stores like Abenson, etc.? I've seen it in Lazada but I want to try it out first if it'll fit the space that I have in mind.

Edit: nevermind. Found it sa Abenson site.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    Kinda off topic but where can I buy a Vornado? Is it available in local appliance stores like Abenson, etc.? I've seen it in Lazada but I want to try it out first if it'll fit the space that I have in mind.

Edit: nevermind. Found it sa Abenson site.
    Here’s a good place to start: Where to Buy

I got mine from S&R.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    My current smarthome setup... It's always a work in progress. In fact, I have inbound shipments of the 3-pack Echo Dot Gen 3 from Amazon coming within the next couple of weeks. So the smart devices will eventually expand into our kids' bedrooms, my workshop, and even the bathrooms. And when the Echo Auto is released, to my car. Right now, I'm using a 2nd Gen Dot in the car.

Cloud services I use includes:
    1. Amazon Alexa - Obviously...
    2. BroadLink - RM Pro/Mini 3, TC2 RF wall switches, SC1 WiFi switches, A1 Environment Sensor
    3. SmartLife - WiFI LED Lamps in the Living Room (Manufacturer A)
    4. Magic Home Pro - WiFi LED Lamps in the Bedroom (Manufacturer B)
    5. Hass.io - Bridge for the Broadlink A1 so Alexa can get the room temperature
    6. IFTTT - Automation stuff... like turn on the bedroom wall lights when the alarm goes off on the Bedroom Echo Dot or make one of the smart bulb turn purple when it's about to rain, etc.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Got creative with the "Bedtime" Alexa Routine. When it's triggered, it shuts off all non-essential devices in the house (Entertainment center, fans, the water cooler, non-bedroom A/C, etc.) Any house light that's been left on will remain on for the next. 2 minutes to give time for everyone to gather up their stuff and scurry over to their respective bedrooms. When the two minutes are up, lights turn off in sequence, starting from the kitchen to the living room, etc.

The 'melody' and the beep you hear towards the end of the video are the living room A/C turning off and the master's bedroom A/C (adjacent room) turning on, respectively.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'm currently buying appliances for my home and I want to control them remotely. I don't have oj88's electronic background, so I'd like something usable out of the box as much as possible, while still being cost-conscious.

Top priority is turning on the aircon using my smartphone or Google Assistant even when I'm not yet home. Not too keen on geofencing, would prefer to turn it on manually but remotely.

Seems like Sensibo is the most popular and convenient way to do it, costs 6k in Lazada.

Are there any other options?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Bro check FB marketplace and PM the guys who offer the smart home services....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Anyone into home automation/smart homes with integration to Alexa, Google Home, Siri, etc.?