New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Finally got my "unsupported" Xiaomi-Philips smart bulb to play ball with Alexa. I had to go through scripts and hoops, but I got it working.

I then created a simple Routine in Alexa called "Movie Mode". All it does is turn the lights off and turn on the TV and A/V Receiver. Partial list of components used: Broadlink RM Pro+, RM Tasker Plugin, Amazon Echo Dot, and a Raspberry Pi 2 running Home Assistant (Hass.io).

The Raspberry Pi 2

Broadlink RM Pro+ IR and RF blaster

Not visible here is the Broadlink RM Mini3 located in the bedroom (to control the TV and A/C) and my old Sony Xperia Z3 Dual hosting the RM Tasker Plugin.

Equipment I can control now with Alexa:

1. All TVs including STBs
    2. A/V Receiver
    3. All split-type A/Cs
    4. Smart bulbs
    5. Smart plugs
    6. Smart light switches
    Last edited by oj88; March 24th, 2018 at 11:50 PM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    How do you control AC?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    The things being described here are those that I see on movies...

You're lying on your bed and you forgot to turn off the lights downstairs... just say the word.

You're about to go home in an hour and it's very hot... just say the word (or type).

---

You're sister hacks the security system on your office and now you're walking and want to avoid the security personnel...

your sister now informs you to turn right and use elevator B and makes a loop.

I can't remember what movie is this.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    How do you control AC?
    I can control them any number of ways:

1. Using the actual remote, obviously
    2. Using Broadlink’s eControl and IHC apps (works anywhere there’s internet)
    3. Through voice commands via Amazon Echo devices
    4. Through the Alexa app on my phone (also works anywhere there’s internet)

For items 2 to 4, I use Broadlink’s IR blasters (one each in the bedroom and living room) that has line-of-sight to the A/C and A/V equipment. The one in the living room can also control 433MHz RF devices. Unlike IR, RF can go through floors and walls.

This is sort of the Frankenstein version. The ‘James Bond’ version, products like the Sensibo, are just way too expensive for me. The way I understood how it works, you’l also need one for each room that has an A/C you want to have control of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oj88; March 25th, 2018 at 09:04 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    The things being described here are those that I see on movies...

You're lying on your bed and you forgot to turn off the lights downstairs... just say the word.

You're about to go home in an hour and it's very hot... just say the word (or type).

---

You're sister hacks the security system on your office and now you're walking and want to avoid the security personnel...

your sister now informs you to turn right and use elevator B and makes a loop.

I can't remember what movie is this.
    Oh yes. 10 minutes out, I can ask Alexa while driving to turn on the A/C in either the living room, bedroom or both, so the place will be cool by the time we get home.

My next project is to add an environmental sensor (senses light, noise, temperature, humidity, and air quality/hazardous gasses) so that, among other things, it can automate the operation of the A/C even when there’s nobody around. For example, we have a pet dog. When the room temp gets too hot or humid, it can turn on the A/C for several minutes. If it senses low air quality or hazardous gasses, it can maybe turn on an air filter or send me a notification, respectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    This is real cool stuff.

The scripts are the hard part.

And what did you use the android box for?

Can u ask Alexa to switch HDMI sources ? Ask if the amp is on ?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by EQAddict; March 25th, 2018 at 10:52 AM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Awesome thread. I'd like to have this in my home once I move in. Just to have an idea, how much does it cost to have Alexa up and running and synced to my aircon and TV?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    This is real cool stuff.

This is real cool stuff.

The scripts are the hard part.

And what did you use the android box for?

Can u ask Alexa to switch HDMI sources ? Ask if the amp is on ?
    It's a looong story. Buckle up. ;)

Suffice to say, it acts as a bridge between Alexa and Broadlink products (IR/RF blasters as well as WIFI and RF smart switches). In an ideal world, Alexa talks to these devices through the cloud (ie. Between Broadlink's cloud and Amazon's Alexa cloud through what's called a "Skill"). But Broadlink, being a slouch at development, the API/Skill they currently have for Alexa is very limited. The Android device runs an app called RM Tasker Plugin. It emulates a Philips HUE hub and it presents most 'incompatible' devices as HUE bulbs to Alexa within my local network. That way, I can control them in Alexa

It's a pretty convoluted answer, I know. But that's as un-technical I can be, sorry.

As for your other question, technically, yes. But Broadlink is really not the best device for full A/V control integration. It's not as intuitive as it needs to be. For that, I'd rather use a Harmony Hub.

But for turning things on and off, it's great.
    Last edited by oj88; March 25th, 2018 at 11:08 AM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Hmmm. Do you sell your services to automate homes that have existing gear already? Or can u recommend roadmaps for upgrades?

I am very interested in smart homes. Was looking at Zigbee based gadgets but i have a lot of legacy equipment.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Awesome thread. I'd like to have this in my home once I move in. Just to have an idea, how much does it cost to have Alexa up and running and synced to my aircon and TV?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Like I mentioned earlier, my setup is more of a ragtag of different devices that hardly talks to each other. I'm more interested in spending as little as possible and almost every component I used are the generic/China kinds bought off of Lazada, Wish, and Shopee. You get what you pay for and they're a far cry from branded products such as you'll find in the US like Sensibo, Samsung SmartThings, Philips HUE, Wemo, Wink, Z-Wave and Zigbee devices, etc.

Right now, if you want everything to work out of the box, you have to cough up the cash. How much would depend on the kind and number of devices you want to control. Beyond lights and switches, do you also want integrate it with your window blinds, curtains, door locks, security system, cameras, etc.?

Anyway, just to give you an idea of the costs:

Device name - Approx. cost per device

Amazon Echo Dot - P3k
    Broadlink RM Pro+ - P1,500
    Broadlink RM Mini3 - P900
    Broadlink TC2 RF light switch (3-gang) - P1,500
    Broadlink SC1 smart WiFi switch - P350
    Geekbes smart WiFI plug - P500
    Xiaomi-Philips White Bulb - P700
    Yeelight RGB+W Bulb - P1,200
    Chinese RGB+W Bulb - P700

Back-end devices:
    Raspberry Pi 2 complete - P2.8k
    Android device - Free (old phone)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Anyone into home automation/smart homes with integration to Alexa, Google Home, Siri, etc.?