New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I was supposed to get Magic Jack so I started researching on it. I came across Vonage and it seems that people prefer it over Magic Jack.

The subscription for Vonage ($25/mo) is significantly higher than Magic Jack ($40/yr). Is it worth it? Some are saying that Vonage is almost as clear as a regular land line. I am thinking that it must be the same quality as PLDT's budget card? Also it connects directly to your modem unlike Magic Jack where you need to connect it to your PC.

Magic Jack apparently slows down your PC and they have no tech support but then again it's incredibly cheap. But then, will the speed of your PC affect the quality of your call? This is because my 3 year old laptop is already slow. Also, is it the quality the same as skype? Because skype works horribly with my connection.

I want to have an idea of how decent the call quality is with Magic Jack.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guiding thought: "You get what you pay for."

Example: Sun cellular service

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i'm not sure about vonage... but at home, i've tried 2 types...

sa magic jack, if your PC connects to the internet via wifi, babagal at choppy ang call mo... but for unlimited 40/mo (especially it was my sister who was paying for it in the US) I guess ok lang... we tried using magic jack on windows and mac.. both ok naman... kung kailangan usap buong family via speakerphone, setup your computer audio and mic na lang to be able to do that...

the other we tried is may pinadala yung brother in law ko na voip modem ata yun.. i think vonage nga din yung carrier... the vonage modem is hooked up to the router while a regular phone is hooked up to the vonage modem... this is what my wife and her sisters use to call my in laws in the US... since it's my brother in law who's paying for it... I guess okay na rin...

better ang voice quality on vonage since hard wired ang daan ng data... but if PC / Mac was connected via copper cable in the network, at par na silang dalawa...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    nalagyan ng tita ko dati magic jack pc ko pero di naman bumagal. i am not saying na di siya babagal in the first place ha, pwede rin kasi siguro since di ko natest yun ng pangmatagalan, tsaka kasi naobserbahan ko lang yung sakin bumagal lang to nung lagi na iimproper shutdown.. so far maganda naman siya compare sa yahoo voice chat (and im not limiting to ym voice only. kasi dun ko pa lang sila napagcocompare e) kaso parang downside yata is di ko ma uninstall? wala ako makita sa add remove eh. buti sumakto kelangan ko lang magformat ng pc dahil kailangan ko na tsaka kakabitan ng bagong parts kaya ayun, dun na lang siya nawala sa pc ko :D
    Last edited by Burai; September 17th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    para sa amin ayos naman ang majic jack once a week lang kasi ang gamit at pag gabi lang (manila to chicago)

noong mabagal ang pc choppy ang line pero ngayon malinaw na malinaw

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    i can only comment on the MagicJack..

i'm using this for over 2 months and so far, satisfied ako sa performance. any decent pc set-up will do. the voice and call quality depends on your connection. sa desktop pc with dsl, crisp and very clear ang voice, para lang kayong nag-uusap sa regular landline. sa laptop naman connected via wifi, almost the same din basta wala lang kasabay na download. i can even surf while talking using a headphone with mic..

in setting-up the magicjack, you are given choices on what number you want. i advise you to select the number with the same area code ng number na madalas mong tawagan sa US.. landline calls are free pero pag cellphone ang tinawagan mo, may charge sa kanila (except on weekends). depende din siguro ito sa carrier at plan ng tatawagan mo..

HTH

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    i have tried both magic jack and vonage...vonage is way better... but for us...mas cheaper ang magic jack sabi ng sister ko sa US, coz she paid for magic jack na good for one year. while the vonage she has to pay for the monthly bills thru AT&T telecom, para siyang landline, at kahit hindi bukas PC or laptop mo, pwde gamitin ang vonage, ang magic jack hindi. basta may Internet signal kayo pwede ang vonage.walang problema. mas malinis and malinaw ang lines ng vonage... its like kahit nasa pinas ka, para kang nasa US, dahil sa landline ang dating. canada based landlines can also call you without the usual IDD charge for them...but you can't call them, dahil may charge sayo. pls verify also this...i think australia can also call you, kung vonage yung gamit ninyo...

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Some of my friends use Packet8. It's similar to Vonage. Cheaper by a few dollars.

I've been using Vonage for almost 2 years now and had no complaints. I pay close to $30 a month ($25 + taxes).

I prefer Vonage over Magic Jack simply because of less operational hassle. MJ needs a computer to function which I find very limiting and adds reason to consume unnecessary energy. Vonage simply uses your DSL router and all is set. No need for a computer.

Think of it this way, MJ needs to be connected to an always-on computer to receive incoming calls from abroad. And, if your PC is off, I bet your relatives abroad will be pissed for not getting a line connection.

Why pay $40/yr where you can do webcam chat thru your favorite messenger app FREE. Skype, for one, have the best voice quality on this genre.

My best experience while using Vonage, is that one time, the device malfunctioned so I have to call their service desk. I was relieved to find out that the rep is a Filipino (which is obviously situated in RP). I was told to ship the defective device to an address in NY and they will replace it free. Even the shipping to my home address in CA (from NY) is free. More so, they even reimbursed a portion of my monthly bill for the lost time while I still don't have a functioning unit. Excellent service I should say. My only gripe is that since the Vonage unit is used in RP, they have to send it to me (in the US) and back to RP.

One last note, both Vonage and MJ can't make 911 calls (as if it will matter in the Philippines).

Hope this helps

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by junarsl View Post
    i have tried both magic jack and vonage...vonage is way better... but for us...mas cheaper ang magic jack sabi ng sister ko sa US, coz she paid for magic jack na good for one year. while the vonage she has to pay for the monthly bills thru AT&T telecom, para siyang landline, at kahit hindi bukas PC or laptop mo, pwde gamitin ang vonage, ang magic jack hindi. basta may Internet signal kayo pwede ang vonage.walang problema. mas malinis and malinaw ang lines ng vonage... its like kahit nasa pinas ka, para kang nasa US, dahil sa landline ang dating. canada based landlines can also call you without the usual IDD charge for them...but you can't call them, dahil may charge sayo. pls verify also this...i think australia can also call you, kung vonage yung gamit ninyo...
    Vonage can do unlimited calls to 60 countries. Please refer to this link:

http://www.vonage.com/residential_ca..._calling_plans

Any experience using Magic Jack or Vonage?