New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    My existing steel gutters have corroded and I am planning to replace them, a contractor recommended to use aluminium gutter, another contractor said aluminium gutter will deteriorate in the weather and suggest to use thicker steel gutter instead.

I understand the both metals will corrode in the air, and it is matter of which will corrode easily, or which will last longer.

I there someone who has used aluminium gutter in his house, and what is your comment on aluminium gutter?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Stainless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    GI should last 20-30yrs if properly maintained. Alum is hard to work on and will be a challenge on maintenance.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigT View Post
    My existing steel gutters have corroded and I am planning to replace them, a contractor recommended to use aluminium gutter, another contractor said aluminium gutter will deteriorate in the weather and suggest to use thicker steel gutter instead.

I understand the both metals will corrode in the air, and it is matter of which will corrode easily, or which will last longer.

I there someone who has used aluminium gutter in his house, and what is your comment on aluminium gutter?

i used stainless.
    it looks hideous, as i have decided to not paint it anymore, as ordinary paint does not stick long to stainless.
    but ten years later, it still looks as good (or ugly!) as the day i had it installed.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 14th, 2019 at 10:05 AM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i used stainless.
    it looks hideous, as i have decided to not paint it anymore, as ordinary paint does not stick long to stainless.
    but ten years later, it still looks as good (or ugly!) as the day i had it installed.
    Correct doc Aluminium Gutter/Pre painted steel gutter always used #304 not #202. #202 are prone to rust spotting. You can use gauge #26 (standard) or gauge #24 (special).

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpedition View Post
    Correct doc Aluminium Gutter/Pre painted steel gutter always used #304 not #202. #202 are prone to rust spotting. You can use gauge #26 (standard) or gauge #24 (special).

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    By how many percent stainless steel gutter is more expensive than pre-painted gutter?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015

Go 304 Stainless, not GI nor aluminum....but don't stop there. It should be thick enough to have all joints TIGwelded not riveted. Leak test the system prior to final install. Do this right one time, the 1st time... you won't need to reprise this repair ever.
    Oh, if your gutters are prone to trap leaves, install spout strainers on each & every....Periodic inspection might be needed for this to prevent spout clogs.
    If you want zero maintenance, do away with gutters & transfer them to the ground...in form of open trenches. Use plastic kennel pallets(check pic) as cover. They come in 300mm x 600/900mm sizes. Add a layer of gravel on top to hide them.
    It has been years since our last fully guttered structure. In cases where they're really necessary, we go selective & only w/ fully TIGwelded 304 Stainless ones.
    Hope the tips are helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    I had my gutters, sanipa & drain pipes changed just last November. Doc is right that it would look look like an eyesore, but mine turned out OK since the house is painted white & blue gray. If it were painted a darker color, wouldn’t look good. Gutters are actually the headache in house maintenance, so best to go stainless. I also changed my post lights to stainless steel to match the stainless steel gutter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    I had my gutters, sanipa & drain pipes changed just last November. Doc is right that it would look look like an eyesore, but mine turned out OK since the house is painted white & blue gray. If it were painted a darker color, wouldn’t look good. Gutters are actually the headache in house maintenance, so best to go stainless. I also changed my post lights to stainless steel to match the stainless steel gutter.

In the Philippines, most people use Vulca Seal to seal the gaps and joints in gutter, but a roof installer suggested to use epoxy to seal the gaps.

What is your comment on using epoxy as a gutter sealant?

10. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    In the Philippines, most people use Vulca Seal to seal the gaps and joints in gutter, but a roof installer suggested to use epoxy to seal the gaps.

What is your comment on using epoxy as a gutter sealant?
    Oh, I wouldn’t know. I am not in that field. But if you want my 2 cents worth, Vulca seal shrinks & epoxy cracks. Something more resilient would be a Silicon sealant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Aluminium Gutter/Pre painted steel gutter