New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Which method is the best?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Set the hard drives to spin down after x number of minutes

0 0%
  • Set it for cintinuous operation (no spin-down)

2 100.00%
  • I don't care / I don't know / Too techie for me / You're a nerd

0 0%
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    As the subject says, which method is best? Saving electricity is not really a priority.

I have five hard disks spinning in my desktop and another two in my Linux broadband gateway/NAS. These PC's are running 24x7.
    Last edited by oj88; August 26th, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Personally I don't let it spin down if I want longevity for my HDD.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, hard disks are stressed tested by the manufacturer as part of their quality assurance processes. no need for the consumers to do some or extra activities for this. you just need to avoid certain things like extreme temperatures, extreme electrical spikes, humidity and dropping. and yes, backup is a must... for you can never tell when it will fail, even if you do certain activities which you think can make it function longer.

personal opinion ko lang. i have handled and managed lots of equipments and servers already and there is no surefire way.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    imho, hard disks are stressed tested by the manufacturer as part of their quality assurance processes. no need for the consumers to do some or extra activities for this. you just need to avoid certain things like extreme temperatures, extreme electrical spikes, humidity and dropping. and yes, backup is a must... for you can never tell when it will fail, even if you do certain activities which you think can make it function longer.

personal opinion ko lang. i have handled and managed lots of equipments and servers already and there is no surefire way.
    extreme electrical spikes, dropping (kicking) yung nangyari sa akin kaya nasira hehe, extreme temperature pala nakakasira? awts lage mainit loob ng pc ko dahil sa MALAKEEE na heatsink ng videocard ko tsk

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We've had Win XP clients tied in with Linux servers. All run 24/7. Two of the clients still have Pentium 3's and the old hard drives associated with them. I recall seeing them first around 2001. One of them had the hard drive finally crash last month. No warnings. It just simply quit. Kaput.

That's not too bad. The contractor sent a triple core Phenom tower as a replacement.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 26th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    We've had Win XP clients tied in with Linux servers. All run 24/7. Two of the clients still have Pentium 3's and the old hard drives associated with them. I recall seeing them first around 2001. One of them had the hard drive finally crash last month. No warnings. It just simply quit. Kaput.

That's not too bad. The contractor sent a triple core Phenom tower as a replacement.
    - i had an experience naman before where a brand new server's hard disk conked out after four months. used under normal conditions, data center environment. good think is we did mirroring so recovery was a snap. and the supplier replaced the entire thing, not just the hard disk.

- meron naman kaming old server before that was converted to RH. before we converted it, the server was already running for four years. after conversion, we used it for another 5 years, before we decided to retire the hardware.

- we had a desktop computer before which we used for 10 years. walang bumigay na part. we just have to retire it dahil ang bagal na.

- and we had experienced another desktop which experienced a hard disk crash after only two months of use.

all of these computers/servers are within the required operating environments (dust free, data center areas, under high capacity UPS and the environment was installed with a TVSS). talagang depende sa equipment.

again, backup and a good recovery plan is the key...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kulotz View Post
    extreme electrical spikes, dropping (kicking) yung nangyari sa akin kaya nasira hehe, extreme temperature pala nakakasira? awts lage mainit loob ng pc ko dahil sa MALAKEEE na heatsink ng videocard ko tsk

disks and other components get damaged by extreme temperature. they are designed to operate in certain temperature ranges. parang oto din yan.. pag di maganda ang cooling system mo, mag-ooverheat ka, which will damage your engine and other components. if your hardware internals are too hot because of your video card or other upgrades, probably you should review your cooling needs.

All for hard disk longevity and reliability