New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Guys, is there any way of retrofitting a thermostat to an existing "dumb" A/C, to make it more accurate?

Pansin ko lang kasi na sobrang ginaw in the early mornings when the A/C is on. In theory the A/C should adjust the temperature right?

There was this company i read about a few years ago that does this, i.e. replaces the existing thermostat so the temperature control is more accurate..but i'm not sure if it's possible for "consumer" A/Cs.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would rather replace the whole unit to the newer model (inverter) than retrofitiing

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    There is a manual conversion using Honeywell thermostat. Instead of electronic thermocouple or thermistor, it uses the oldschool bimetallic strip.. Converted some in the apt and no probs so far. Just make sure to wire the relays properly or use the original relays to make the conversion safe.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i think that early in the morning, the temperature around the air intake of the aircon, is still warmer than the chosen aircon temp.
    it takes some time for that area to cool down.
    during that interval of cooling down, the aircon pumps out cold air, thinking the entire passenger compartment is still too warm. the passengers then feel cold.
    once the intake area is cooler, then the thermostat kicks in and the air being blown in is not so cold anymore.

another possibility, is that the aircon is functioning fine. but our bodies are still getting used to the cold temp, hence we feel "too cold". once our bodies get acclimatized, then we don't feel too cold anymore.

a thermometer in the car would help decide which of the above, is the right one.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I would rather replace the whole unit to the newer model (inverter) than retrofitiing
    I agree with this approach.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Double post

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    There is a manual conversion using Honeywell thermostat. Instead of electronic thermocouple or thermistor, it uses the oldschool bimetallic strip.. Converted some in the apt and no probs so far. Just make sure to wire the relays properly or use the original relays to make the conversion safe.
    I guess you can do retrofitting if thermostat is broken but I don't its recommended kung hinde naman sira parang sayang pera and you're correct parang nakikita ko yan honeywell brand sa ace hardware

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    I guess you can do retrofitting if thermostat is broken but I don't its recommended kung hinde naman sira parang sayang pera and you're correct parang nakikita ko yan honeywell brand sa ace hardware

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I did replaced yung mga units na erratic yung pag on ng compressor minsan sobra lamig minsan antagal mag engage ng thermostat. Yung sensors kasi as they age parang nawawala sa calibration and service center would normally replace the assembly control unit and it cost more than just converting to manual.. One could diy it if my tech know how, yung portion lang ng relay i-wwire in series yung honeywell. Then some diode to retain the remote control functionality. Honeywell cost P1k nga pla sa ronquillo the last time i checked.