Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    how about this?

athlon xp 2500+ barton
    MSI K7N2 DELTA-ILSR NFORCE
    SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS PRO 128MB DDR TV-DVI 8X
    2 x STANDARD 512MB DDR

maganda sana yung gigabyte mobo, but i havent found any place that sells it. choices are asus a7nx deluxe or the msi para nforce2 based like you guys suggest. my question on the vid card is why the 256mb radeon 9600 would be cheaper than the 128mb radeon 9600 pro?

did i forget anything?

pwede ba 2 vid card? the radeon and pinnacle at the same time?

pajerokid: how are you running the 2500 at 3200? overclocked? kaya ng mobo? what mobo you using? would an additional cooling fan be needed?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you're not gonna play intensive 3D games, you'd be better off not overclocking at all, imo.

PC Evotech in katipunan (in front of miriam) sells the Gigabyte for 7,800. if you're not going to use the ATA133 IDE RAID, the MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR is an excellent board that is less expensive (by around 1000 bucks) than the Gigabyte

the Radeon 9600 Pro is significantly faster (higher clocked) than the 9600 non-Pro, but is otherwise identical in architecture and design. the difference is only about 2000 bucks. video card prices drop very quickly though (prices drop by huge amounts in a matter of several months)

don't forget to get a high-quality power supply with healthy output on the +12V rail... (around >25 A would be good)

3. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    i dont think im going to be playing 3d games a lot, but why would i be better off not overclocking?
    what would be the advantage of ATA133 IDE RAID, and what uses would i have for it?

as long as im nearly decided, does anyone have any recommendation on a shop to buy from?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dx, there... thats more like it!

Yes, I overclock my processor. I've overcloked my CPU since day 1. As a matter of fact, you dont even need a good quality HeatSink-Fan (HSF), to do it. Of course, it would be a lot better if you do. Im using Epox's 8RDA Rev 2.0. Very stable. For cooling, i use Globalwin's CAK4 88T Copper cooler together with Delta's FFB0812FE "Monster" fan. It keeps temps cool, as in cooler than stock.

Contrary to my friend mbt's opinion, there isnt anything wrong with overclocking, as long as you dont overdo it. The barton 2500+ is clocked at 8.5 x 333MHz or 1830GHz (actual CPU speed).

Im running mine at 11x400MHz or 2205GHz(actual)! No problems whatsoever!!! You not only speed up CPU processing but also imporve the whole system by using the 400MHz bus speed.

I used sysoft Sandra to verify CPU performance, and it has my system up there with the actual 3200+. My system is even faster than the first two releases of the AMD Opteron!!!

The best thing about it is all of that is for free!

I Buy my stuff from different vendors.

Eto complete specs ko and vendor.

Epox 8RDA+ Rev2.0 -- Rising Sun Computers Shaw
    1 TwinMoS 512MB PC3200 - Rising Sun Computers Shaw
    AXP 2500+ Barton - Rising Sun Pa rin
    GlobalWIN CAK4 88T - Rsing Sun
    HEC 475W PSU - Same
    1 TwinMOS 512MB PC3200 - Villman Computers Megamall
    ATi Radeon 9800 Non Pro - PCOptions Gilmore
    40GB Seagate Barracuda - PCX Alabang

now for the goodies...

Delta FFB0812HE - 80mm 7000rpm fan - Private Vendor
    2 TT Smart Case Fan 2's - PCX Shaw
    Delta AFB0812L - 80mm 4200rpm fan - Xtreme Modz Greenhills
    Hiyatek 6 way fan control - Xtreme Modz Greenhills

everything else was reused from my old setup. hope this helps!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ....oh, if all my fans are set to full blast, the system sounds like a hairdryer hehe :D Thank god for fan controllers!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    of course i have no idea how to overclock :D , so the question is, will the shop do it properly for me? or is there somewhere else?

how come you didn't get all of it together? not available? or some other reason? how much did all the "cooling" equipment cost?

side question: bakit ang dami nyong alam about pc components?! :confused:

Originally posted by pajerokid
    dx, there... thats more like it!

Yes, I overclock my processor. I've overcloked my CPU since day 1. As a matter of fact, you dont even need a good quality HeatSink-Fan (HSF), to do it. Of course, it would be a lot better if you do. Im using Epox's 8RDA Rev 2.0. Very stable. For cooling, i use Globalwin's CAK4 88T Copper cooler together with Delta's FFB0812FE "Monster" fan. It keeps temps cool, as in cooler than stock.

Contrary to my friend mbt's opinion, there isnt anything wrong with overclocking, as long as you dont overdo it. The barton 2500+ is clocked at 8.5 x 333MHz or 1830GHz (actual CPU speed).

Im running mine at 11x400MHz or 2205GHz(actual)! No problems whatsoever!!! You not only speed up CPU processing but also imporve the whole system by using the 400MHz bus speed.

I used sysoft Sandra to verify CPU performance, and it has my system up there with the actual 3200+. My system is even faster than the first two releases of the AMD Opteron!!!

The best thing about it is all of that is for free!

I Buy my stuff from different vendors.

Eto complete specs ko and vendor.

Epox 8RDA+ Rev2.0 -- Rising Sun Computers Shaw
    1 TwinMoS 512MB PC3200 - Rising Sun Computers Shaw
    AXP 2500+ Barton - Rising Sun Pa rin
    GlobalWIN CAK4 88T - Rsing Sun
    HEC 475W PSU - Same
    1 TwinMOS 512MB PC3200 - Villman Computers Megamall
    ATi Radeon 9800 Non Pro - PCOptions Gilmore
    40GB Seagate Barracuda - PCX Alabang

now for the goodies...

Delta FFB0812HE - 80mm 7000rpm fan - Private Vendor
    2 TT Smart Case Fan 2's - PCX Shaw
    Delta AFB0812L - 80mm 4200rpm fan - Xtreme Modz Greenhills
    Hiyatek 6 way fan control - Xtreme Modz Greenhills

everything else was reused from my old setup. hope this helps!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    i noticed you bought a lot of stuff from rising sun, any particular reason? meron pang alabang! you really went all over the place for your pc :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    iba iba kasi yung prices ng parts at different stores e, some stores sell this certain part for less than the shop next door, and they sell some parts at a higher price naman. so shopping around, you can get the best prices for all your parts hehe

shopping a la carte is best for enthusiasts however... mas madali mag claim ng warranty repair if you buy everything from just one shop, just leave the entire thing with them and let them do the troubleshooting.

overclocking is strictly do-at-your-own-risk... the actual procedure is very simple (just change a few numbers in the BIOS), but don't overdo it (like, don't expect to be able to run your 1.8 GHz CPU at 3.0 GHz hehe), and your mileage will vary. the upside is free CPU power (and video card power if you overclock your video card too), the downside is increased heat, greater likelihood of system instability, somewhat reduced CPU life expectancy (although this shouldn't really matter since your CPU will get outdated faster than overclocking will kill it).

pajerokid,

pare bili ako ng PS2 tapos i-overclock ko hahahaha :D

9. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    is there anywhere that i can get details on overclocking?

pajerokid: how did you overclock yours?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dx, mbt is right, overclocking is strictly a DIY operation. but believe me, its not like your processor will suddenly burst into flames! The worst that could happen is that your PC will hang.
    And yes, Overclocking is said to decrease CPU life, but then again, your CPU will still be definitely alive after 3 or so years, time for your next upgrade

Overclocking the CPU is easy. Just go into your BIOS (pressing del while the PC is booting) and you can adjust the settings then and there

You see, the speed of the CPU is determined by two things.... first is the bus speed and next, you have the multiplier.

The Barton 2500+ doesnt actually run at 2500GHz. AMD naming convention lang yun "estimating" the Athlon can equal or exceed an Intel processor of the same speed.

It actually runs at 1830GHz. This speed is determined by ....

BUS (333MHz) x Multiplier(8) = 1830GHz
    (estimated... i forgot the actual default values )

Speeding up the bus speed to 400Mhz will speed up the motherboard, and basically everthing else.

Increasing the multiplier increases the number of CPU cycles per clock.

Mine is now at 400Mhz x 11 = 2205GHz.... equivalent to the AthlonXP 3200+

Aside from that, there's memory overlcoking (which i dont do) and video card overcloking (a lot easier).

BTW, are you comfy with your computer's BIOS and motherboard jumpers? If youre not, baka mahirapan ka. But trust me, overclocking is very very rewarding.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
advice on pc