New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'm looking to replace my Canon 1080p camcorder with a 4k one. Kinda hard to let go because of its 32x optical zoom. But, I want one with more pixels. So far, the one that appeals most to me is the Sony FDR X3000.

I also thought about going lower-priced such as the Xiaomi Yi 4k action cam.

I figure I'd let the kids have the Canon since they're using it far more than me.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I find Sony's action cams too expensive... Decided to buy a Hero 5...

If you plan to replace your camcorder, I would recommend a P&S or Micro 4/3rds with 4K video capabilities.

You get the optical zoom minus the fish eye effect of Action Cams...

There are cheap alternatives (SJ/Xiaomi/etc) but based on experience, still shots taken by those cameras are useless.

Sent from Zenfone 3 on Tsikot mobile app

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I find Sony's action cams too expensive... Decided to buy a Hero 5...

If you plan to replace your camcorder, I would recommend a P&S or Micro 4/3rds with 4K video capabilities.

You get the optical zoom minus the fish eye effect of Action Cams...

There are cheap alternatives (SJ/Xiaomi/etc) but based on experience, still shots taken by those cameras are useless.

Sent from Zenfone 3 on Tsikot mobile app
    I think I'll wait for proper 4k camcorders with excellent zoom capability to become widespread first. Having a good zoom capability is important to me (for airshows, air races, etc). I'll keep my Canon 1080p camcorder (32x optical/57x hybrid zoom) for me. I'll buy the kids a cheap sub-$100 4k action cam.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; June 25th, 2017 at 02:49 AM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    you sure you need 4k in a cheap action cam for the kids?

that sony seems to be the only one w/ optical stabilizer but rather pricey. a lot of action cams now have gyro-assisted digital stabilization. basically a tiny gyro sensor like on a phone tells the computer how much to shift the frame to compensate. works much better than software-based solutions. even gopros don't have gyro stabilization

5. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    im planning to purchase a gopro 6 when it comes out, my GP session will my daugther...problem is, i asked her coach if an action cam is allowed in taekwondo...di daw pwede..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    In my case the camcorder is just in the dry cabinet...

It was bought in the 90's and resolution is only 480... (it was great in the 90's but now almost useless)

Nowadays, I use my Mirrorless Cam for my daughter's school events. (let's face it... Last person I saw using a camcorder was Zaza Pachulia )

You're right in waiting for 4K camcorders to go mainstream...

IMO, 4K makes your videos a bit future proof... Sony and Panasonic targets 8K for the Tokyo Olympics... Once 8K TVs are released, our HD Videos might start to look bad...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_BIG18 View Post
    im planning to purchase a gopro 6 when it comes out, my GP session will my daugther...problem is, i asked her coach if an action cam is allowed in taekwondo...di daw pwede..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Looks like GoPro now prevents the user from using their software on anything not shot with a GoPro cam...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by makyong View Post
    Looks like GoPro now prevents the user from using their software on anything not shot with a GoPro cam...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    natry mo ito with iOS or Android?

ako naman, napansin ko yung movie edited using GoPro software, hindi ko na maayos ulit using iMovie (may tint yung file once imported...) Gusto ko sana idelete yung GoPro message sa start and end ng movie.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    In my case the camcorder is just in the dry cabinet...

It was bought in the 90's and resolution is only 480... (it was great in the 90's but now almost useless)

Nowadays, I use my Mirrorless Cam for my daughter's school events. (let's face it... Last person I saw using a camcorder was Zaza Pachulia )

You're right in waiting for 4K camcorders to go mainstream...

IMO, 4K makes your videos a bit future proof... Sony and Panasonic targets 8K for the Tokyo Olympics... Once 8K TVs are released, our HD Videos might start to look bad...

yeah me too i used to have a sony HDD camcorder, full HD. i sold it. the only thing i miss is the infra-red night illuminator

these days my needs are better met w/ a mirrorless. much better sensor compared to camcorder

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    you sure you need 4k in a cheap action cam for the kids?

that sony seems to be the only one w/ optical stabilizer but rather pricey. a lot of action cams now have gyro-assisted digital stabilization. basically a tiny gyro sensor like on a phone tells the computer how much to shift the frame to compensate. works much better than software-based solutions. even gopros don't have gyro stabilization
    There's a number of decent sub-$100 action cams with 4k, 30 fps. With 4k, the stills look decent enough. The 4k action cams are also cheap enough that I won't cry over them if they break.

For me? I need zoom capability on the cheap. Another option (for my use) is a digital camera with video, like the Nikon Coolpix P900.

NIKON Coolpix P9 Optical Zoom Test - Moon, Planes, Bird, Church - Super Zoom - YouTube

Nikon coolpix P9 ultra zoom test - YouTube
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 6th, 2017 at 12:59 AM.