New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hey techies. I was wondering if you can help me out.

The guys trying to connect to the Internet via 3G using a Motorola E1120 as a modem via bluetooth connectivity with a laptop. We've successfully paired the phone and the laptop that we can send/receive SMS and MMS from the laptop through the bluetooth connection of the computer and the phone. However, we can't connect to the Internet. Our guys keep getting a message that the GPRS connection could not be established and that there is no subscription to the data service of the provider. This shows even if they have re-installed the MM, GPRS and 3G settings more than once. Initially, they thought the phone was buggy so they tried surfing the web using only the phone and whaddya know? It works as it is supposed to. However, when we connected it again to the laptop via bluetooth, it does not work! The guys even bought a data cable just to test but still, no cigar. We got the latest version of Motorola Phone Tools, installed it but nothing happened.

We have been collectively tying to call the service provider (Smart) for assistance since Friday but they are of no help i.e. nobody can provide us either a straight answer or point us in the right direction. Being a Smart subscriber for years, I personally was really disappointed because this is the first time I've experienced this kind of frustration from them. One of their tech reps recommended that the guys bring it to a Smart wireless center for configuration. The guys did what was recommended and still the problem is present i.e. the exercise was a total waste of time.

It is weird because I've successfully paired a Motorola phone before and I had no problems. This time, the past reputation of Motorola phones of arguably being buggy is rearing its ugly head.

So guys, here is my question: are there any settings that need to be tinkered with so that we can connect to the Internet through that darned phone?

Personally, I think Admin should just throw away that darn phone away to save us from further frustration and get a new phone instead - preferably not a Motorola! Well...except probably for that gorgeous RAZR 2 V9.

TIA.
    Last edited by nicolodeon; May 28th, 2007 at 02:10 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    actually, nangyari na sa akin yan.
    tried connecting my laptop to the internet using the 3g feature of my V3x via bluetooth. actually, it works kung phone browser ang gagamitin or using the V3x as a 3G modem via cable. pero pag bluetooth, ayaw.

ang assumption ko tuloy is medyo baka limited yung capability ng v3x pagdating sa BT.

and i sold by v3x. switched back to 6680. everything is now ok.

ang comment ko lang, medyo limited ang speed ng BT connection for 3G internet. up to 170 kbps lang max speed ko eh, whereas, pag cable connection, umaabot ng 400 kbps.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    HG: Thanks for the reply. Ayaw din nya sa cable eh. Same problem. The guys called the service provider just an hour or so ago. Ang sagot was this: yun daw phone at laptop eh hinde 100% compatible, which is hard to believe.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    HG: Thanks for the reply. Ayaw din nya sa cable eh. Same problem. The guys called the service provider just an hour or so ago. Ang sagot was this: yun daw phone at laptop eh hinde 100% compatible, which is hard to believe.
    pre...
    you mentioned earlier, na nakaka surf/browse ka using your phone browser. so that means that the SmartInternet gateway was successfully configured. pero kung ililipat mo yung browsing sa PC using a cable or BT, wala.

so it may mean na baka incompatible yung mismong motorola phone tools na gamit mo. hanggang dun lang.

diba may kasamang cd yan? can you uninstall your current MPT tapos install mo yung MPT na kasama sa CD....

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    HG, the guys D/L-ed the latest MPT a couple of hours ago ver 4.51. It works sa cable pero hinde sa bluetooth. Thing is, yung gagamit gusto eh kahit BT or cable, pwede.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    HG, the guys D/L-ed the latest MPT a couple of hours ago ver 4.51. It works sa cable pero hinde sa bluetooth. Thing is, yung gagamit gusto eh kahit BT or cable, pwede.
    with BT, tingin ko limited ang functionality ng BT ng motorola pre, as per my previous post.

maski nga simple file transfer from PC-Phone and vice versa, di kaya ng motorola BT eh.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Just a suggestion, try looking at the functionality of your phone as modem and having bluetooth as connection for your phone and laptop.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003

Personally, I think Admin should just throw away that darn phone away to save us from further frustration and get a new phone instead - preferably not a Motorola! Well...except probably for that gorgeous RAZR 2 V9.
    nico eto sabi sa mobile-review bout the razr2 v9 - "Models Motorola V9/V9m aren’t worth being put into the limelight – if you are wondering about their functionality, you would be better off reading the Motorola Maxx review, due to the identical feature packs."

buti nalang kala ko malalaos na agad sa features v6 ko :

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Greg, it does have that functionality. The phone's manual says so. The guys searched sa Internet and according to what they said they found, it can function as a modem for Internet connectivity via laptop.

I've done this before using a Motorola E770 and it worked. However, now that I look a few months back, it did not work for the SLV L7e either.

Hmmmm......

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Update:

The guys stopped tinkering with the E1120. They tried connecting to the Internet via bluetooth using the other Motorol phone (SLVR L7e) and it did not work either. To test, they borrowed the E770 issued by to me by the office and tried to rig it with the laptop for bluetooth Internet access using the latest MPT software. Guess what? It did not work either.

Their verdict: 1.) it would not work. 2.) replace the E1120 with another 3G phone of another brand 3.) Motorola sucks

Thanks for your inputs fellas. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
3G Internet via Bluetooth