New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Hi guys, I just want some advice, Im canvassing for a new laptop, kaso sa sobra dami ng OS na W7, nakakalito na rin. this is about the 32 bit and the 64 bit. meron pang starter, basic and ultimate. sabi ng mga salesman maganda daw 64 bit, sabi naman iba, 32 bit daw. So, to my fellow tsikoteers, ano po ba ang recomend between the two. and pls. enlighten nyo na rin po ako. TIA..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by underman View Post
    Hi guys, I just want some advice, Im canvassing for a new laptop, kaso sa sobra dami ng OS na W7, nakakalito na rin. this is about the 32 bit and the 64 bit. meron pang starter, basic and ultimate. sabi ng mga salesman maganda daw 64 bit, sabi naman iba, 32 bit daw. So, to my fellow tsikoteers, ano po ba ang recomend between the two. and pls. enlighten nyo na rin po ako. TIA..

Win7 Basic 32bit would be the best for most purposes.

64 bit would give you a slight performance edge but you will have problems running older software that isn't 64bit.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by underman View Post
    For us consumers, sulit lang yun 64-bit if you plan to exceed more than 3GB of RAM as 32-bit OS are limited to that amount.

As for the technicalities themselves, I used 64-bit myself and found that most 32-bit applications are compatible to some degree thanks to its rapid adaptation. In 2007, 64-bit OS were rare so most people didn't bother flocking to it due to the difficulty of finding driver updates. But things change and now most people have embraced 64bit already.

If you're going gaming, it's best to stick with 32bit though.

Like what GH said, if you want a no-fuss OS, go for 32bit. If you plan to upgrade sometime in the future, get the 64bit

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    most 32-bit apps I use are still running naman on Windows 7 64-bit. As mentioned in previous posts, kung gusto mo mag-upgrade ng RAM 4GB and up, kailangan mo ng 64-bit to do so (limited lang kasi ang 32-bit to 4GB, shared na ang RAM at VIDEO memory dito).

If you don't have old school devices at home (ex. printers, scanners, and other devices that are 5 to 10 years old already or have been made by a brand that doesn't have a website online like Mitsumi et al), I'd suggest go for 64-bit, but if you still have some, might as well stick to 32-bit as it will most likely be hard to scout for 64-bit drivers of these devices.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you do have any issues with the 64-bit, you could try the XP mode where a window will run the application in 32-bit mode.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate on my home desktop, HTPC and on our church A/V computer. IDK, I seem to find video editing/rendering faster on 64-bit systems.

I've no major problems with application compatibility or driver support. Anti-virus software is another story; you should get the 64-bit version.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    depende sa pagagamitan. typically 32-bit CPU are good na for almost all needs for now.

But if your application will need more than 4.x GB of RAM, then go with 64-bit.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    But if your application will need more than 4.x GB of RAM, then go with 64-bit.
    Agreed.

Actually the logic here is that a 32-bit OS cannot use any RAM that's above and beyond a point slightly lower than 4GB...it was about 3.7 GB of RAM if memory serves. Moving to 64-bit eliminates this ceiling and allows the OS to use any and all available RAM if your system has a lot of it installed.

To simplify things, if your system contains less than 4GB of total RAM, stick to a 32-bit OS. Otherwise, it's your call.

32 bit or 64 bit