New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We were up North last May 13-20 and had a chance to play in the sand dunes of Laoag. I even let some of my office mates drive the Patrol around the dunes.

View at the top of the trail with the convoy below.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How many days did you guys allot for the trip? How are the roads now?

An Ilocos road trip is still one must do for any motorhead if you ask me.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    parang kagaya ba dubai sand dunes ba yun pa rides dun? na kasakay din sa land cruiser

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    How bad is the sand? Can you bring a soft-roader or will you need a full-on 4x4 like the Patrol/Pajero?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A soft roader can take some parts but better not to risk it if you're unfamiliar or if there isnt anyone who can do some recovery work for you. I remember Otep posting a video before of a CR-V and Jimny at the same sandy spot on a Zambales beach before and while the CR-V was threading the fine line on getting stuck, the Jimny breezed out easily. I sank my pickup on one of those deserted Ilocos beaches before (newbie mistake, parked at the wrong spot) and thankfully a six by six happened by to pull me out.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by timrev View Post
    parang kagaya ba dubai sand dunes ba yun pa rides dun? na kasakay din sa land cruiser
    iba pa din ang sand dunes ng middle east... dessert safari or dune bashing tawag nila diyan... dadalhin ka ng mga expert na drivers sa ga-building na taas ng dunes umaandar ng nakatagilid...pero they will let you experience din how to drive sa disyerto... pwede whole day na tour or overnight. mas prefer ko overnight kasi may bell dancer...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    How bad is the sand? Can you bring a soft-roader or will you need a full-on 4x4 like the Patrol/Pajero?

The sand is powder. You'll need at least a softroader with 4x4 & offroad tires (and skillz!) to get by there.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post

Consider Sagada via Ilocos ( Cervantes , Besang Pass , Abatan90 )

Nice shots afrasay.
    Last edited by mark_t; June 6th, 2012 at 12:45 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post

Seven days -Manila-Vigan-Laoag-Pagudpod-SFU-Manaoag-Bolinao-Zambales-Manila
    Roads are fine. Little traffic along the way due to some construction works on the highway.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    A soft-roader would be fine you just have to stick on the trail. May mga LC40 na for rent that can recover you if you get stuck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Yet another North Trip