New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Circuit/Event/Date: Subic International Raceway short track, dry * Team Flat Out trackday 12/5/2009
    Car: 2005 GD1 Honda Jazz 1.3S M/T
    Engine: L13A3 twin-spark, stock
    Suspension: stock
    Brakes: stock rotors, drums, shoes and pads; ATE SL DOT4 brake fluid
    Rolling stock: Toyo Proxes 4 all-season, 205/45R16 87W on 16x7 Rota Circuit 10s

Previous record: 1:04.4
    New record: 0:59.14

Note my first time of the day, a 1:04.21. The lap times just kept going down all through the afternoon.

The best part is, mechanically I didn't change a single thing on the car - just the brake fluid to resist boiling. It was all down to technique and line :D

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well... practice, practice, practice is always the key. 100% of the guys i know improved their lap times not because of this or that mod but because of taking in track days and the driving lessons offered by Kookie.

Same goes to getting the best FC... driving style!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Thanks Vinj. I found that building up my braking skills unlocked the speed for me around Subic.

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Same goes to getting the best FC... driving style!
    Incidentally I still managed 12.769 km/L with all the hot laps, the going to and from Subic, and the EDSA-North Ave nighttime traffic!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Thanks Vinj. I found that building up my braking skills unlocked the speed for me around Subic.

Incidentally I still managed 12.769 km/L with all the hot laps, the going to and from Subic, and the EDSA-North Ave nighttime traffic!
    Me, what got my laptimes down? Rebuilding my brakes. Just five laps in last time and mine overheated... :hysterical: ...didn't have enough braking during our time trail to put in more than one lap... disappointing 1:44 (full track)... I was hoping to get 4 seconds off of that... to match the other Subic virgin there, who got a 1:40 with a WRX.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This mod should shave off some time as well :D :

Niky burns out his brakes just going out of his driveway BTW. hehehe...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Congrats sir.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    This mod should shave off some time as well :D :

Niky burns out his brakes just going out of his driveway BTW. hehehe...
    :hysterical:

It's those damn Corollas. One guy in a silvertop AE92 overtook me when I was clearing backmarkers in BRC and I spent the next three laps chasing him down.

At that last trackday in SIR, where my stock brake discs died on me, I was dicing it out with an AE92 (again), but one with less power (redtop), though stripped and rollcaged for racing. That car was great in the corners, and I really had to push to keep him from pulling up on me as we cleared back-markers. We both left the track with our hazards on after five laps. I had no brakes left. He was overheating. It was fun.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Niky, wow man you must positively murder and torture your brakes! Bendix, Project Mu, Ferodo, EBC et al ought to make a fortune out of you hahaha :D

Although I have loads more confidence under braking now, that's still one of my big fears - losing braking power on track. A decrease in grip due to overheating tires I can cope with, but disintegrating brakes...no way Jose.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Niky, wow man you must positively murder and torture your brakes! Bendix, Project Mu, Ferodo, EBC et al ought to make a fortune out of you hahaha :D

Although I have loads more confidence under braking now, that's still one of my big fears - losing braking power on track. A decrease in grip due to overheating tires I can cope with, but disintegrating brakes...no way Jose.
    Your car is light, so it shouldn't wear your brakes as much as mine (heavy 2 liter engine... all that weight up front). If you're doing timed laps, just give it enough braking on the out lap to warm them up, give it one flying lap, then cool down. The big no-no is to do several laps at maximum attack, as just four or five laps of full-on braking will boil your stock DOT3 fluid... and you don't want to be diving deep into the Subic hairpin when this happens.

But on the time-attack course, which only uses the first half of the track and the main straight, brake wear isn't too bad, so you can do a few laps of those with no problem. Just remember the basics... brake in a straight line, pick out the apex, and smoothly engage the accelerator on the way out... and you'll be fine.

Inggit. I was supposed to go to RWYB last month... ran out of funding and endurance (had a Clark event before the RWYB and drove the day before... knees gave out) and right now, I don't know if I can make any of the remaining track-days... just not enough money or time.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Your car is light, so it shouldn't wear your brakes as much as mine (heavy 2 liter engine... all that weight up front). If you're doing timed laps, just give it enough braking on the out lap to warm them up, give it one flying lap, then cool down. The big no-no is to do several laps at maximum attack, as just four or five laps of full-on braking will boil your stock DOT3 fluid... and you don't want to be diving deep into the Subic hairpin when this happens.

But on the time-attack course, which only uses the first half of the track and the main straight, brake wear isn't too bad, so you can do a few laps of those with no problem. Just remember the basics... brake in a straight line, pick out the apex, and smoothly engage the accelerator on the way out... and you'll be fine.

Inggit. I was supposed to go to RWYB last month... ran out of funding and endurance (had a Clark event before the RWYB and drove the day before... knees gave out) and right now, I don't know if I can make any of the remaining track-days... just not enough money or time.
    It was quite a loose trackday (just 10 of us, mostly Hondas and a handful of Toyotas) so we were permitted to do three hot laps at a time - hence the odd groupings on the timesheet.

Loose trackdays are great - you can practice over and over with consecutive fast laps so you can see just where you can improve, as you mutter "I'll get that apex closer next time" or "I'll carry more speed through there" It's really addicting.

Might I also mention it's actually pretty therapeutic! Ever since the drive on SCTEX/NLEX going back to Manila, my head's been much cooler on the road over the following week. No need to prove my worth as a good driver on public roads, because I know I can beat the crap out of faster cars in my slow "minivan" on Subic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Stock GD1 Jazz shaves 5.2 seconds off Subic laptime.