New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    because of the race setup, and the new rule of F1 that you can't change tires during the race, Michelin knew that their tires could not make it the whole race. so instead of risking injury to the drivers because of a guaranteed tire failure, they advised the teams not to run anymore.

Michelin wanted to alter the course setup to make one turn slower, but it wasn't approved.

kudos to bridgestone, at least they did their homework

this should make the image of the french even better in the USA .... hehehehe

andy

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    the blame should be on michelin. it was their fualt that their tires didn't meet the demands of the track or the situation. it should have been the drivers that adjusted to it. agree ako dun sa suggestion ng FIA to drive slowly on the said turn. kung pagbibigyan ang michelin and the teams using it, it will set a bad precedent na everytime may handicap or problem ang isang tire supplier, e babaguhin pa yung track at rules para lang ma-accomodate yung mali. malas na lang talaga ang crowd. and the teams should have raced pa rin. kahit pang show na lang. just my opinion

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    yup, the michelin drivers should have just slowed down at the corner in question. wala ba silang self-control na di nila kaya bumagal.

that is the point nga of racing....the driver should be able to handle the constraints of his car, the track and himself. they should have raced but at a slower pace

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    here is some very good answers from Schumi & Rubens

Q: Michael and Rubens, I only want to know if it's true that this morning you agreed with the other drivers that a chicane was needed.

RB: I mean, if I had changed one of the corners in Bahrain, my tire would have finished, it wouldn't be in such a problem and I probably would have finished even on the podium. So why would we have to agree to that? People think, okay, you put in a chicane, but we haven't tested with that chicane so that could have been even more dangerous. If you take a different line and people spin to the other side, crash into the side wall, how can we do it? It's silly.
    Q: (Curt Cavin - Indianapolis Star) I understand that you did not make the decision but can you tell my why Ferrari was not in favour of having a chicane put in at the last minute?

MS: I tell you one story, not so long ago. In Monza we had the death of a marshal and all of us drivers agreed we would want yellow flags for the first two chicanes, and there was no less than two or three team owners that told their drivers ‘you will not respect the yellow flag, just ignore what you have said or not said, we want you to race and we force you to race’ and it is the same people who have been on the other side today. So, Formula One is a tough business, we are working very hard and as I mentioned before we had a tyre that was quicker but we didn’t use it because we knew what was going to face us here. I am not saying the others purposefully chose something wrong, but whatever it is, it is their problem, not our problem. I don’t think you can ask the people who are not responsible for it to take the responsibility.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I have to agree that this race was a total joke!!

But I think Michelin has to take a bigger part of the blame for this becoming a joke.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    good am guys... medyo bago ako dito and because of this "race", i think a have to give my 2 cents also...
    i'm a mclaren fan... but today i'm really disappointed at them and all the michelin runners...
    well medyo disappointed din ako sa mga rules ng FIA... kalokohan talaga yung 1 set of tire rule... but all the teams agreed to it... so dapat they should abide by it... i think FIA was right in nit giving in to michelin... tama nga kayo na it will set a bad precedent.. mamya baka sabihin naman ng brakes manugfacturer na hindi sila kampante sa brakes nila... pull out nanaman mga teams... hay naku... no offense to the ladies here but ika nga sa local lingo natin... yung mga michelin teams walang usapang lalaki... they all agreed with their rule revisions at the begining of the season tapos eto sila humihingi ng concessions because their tire supplier sucked... sorry for the ranting but just sharing my sentiments...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    "I don't think you will see us long out there. We will pull in the cars very early in the race because the driver's safety is our highest priority. It is a shame for all the spectators here but safety is more important than a good show."
    --Norbert Haug

Safety was their main concern, as what happened to Ralf last Friday practice where his left rear tyre blew and he hit a wall as a result of that.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    anyone know why there are only 2 tire manufacturers in F1?

andy

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jds
    Safety was their main concern, as what happened to Ralf last Friday practice where his left rear tyre blew and he hit a wall as a result of that.
    Safety?

or

Incompetence?

Heck... they even took the pole for crying out loud. What were the practices for if they couldn't setup properly the suspension system to cope up with the banked track of Indianapolis?

IMO, they are relying too much on the tires. They could have gone for a softer suspension setting + higher tire inflation to offset the said problem.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    michellin dug its own grave!

ang tawa lang ng bridgestone.... never a michellin tire fan anyway he he he

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Schumacher wins six-car Indy farce