New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003

Take nothing away at all from the efforts of all six driver’s who took part in today’s 73-lap US Grand Prix or Bridgestone who supply the tyres to the six runners, but the race at Indianapolis was simply a farce.

With the Michelin runners all retiring from the race at the end of the formation lap, Michael Schumacher drove a solid race to take the win from Rubens Barrichello, but there were no smiles at the end of the ninth round of the championship, not even from the race winners. The win was Schumacher’s first of the season with his last victory coming at Suzuka last year.

The two Ferrari drivers battled for the lead until the closing stages of the race with Schumacher leading early on but a long first stop as the crew examined the left rear Bridgestone dropped him behind Barrichello. The next set of pitstops saw Schumacher exit the pits at the same time as Barrichello dived into the apex at the first turn.

Two into one does not go and Barrichello widely took to the grass to avoid what would have been a very embarrassing collision. This handed the lead back to Schumacher, one he would keep to the end. The result moves Michael Schumacher up to third in the drivers’ championship with 34 points, while Barrichello moves up to join third in the standings.

One happy man at Indianapolis today was Tiago Monteiro who secured the final podium position in his Jordan Toyota from team-mate Narain Karthikeyan who did not have the pace to match his team-mate on this occasion. Christijan Albers finished in fifth position in his Minardi, the only driver to run a three stop strategy, ahead of team- mate Patrick Friesacher.

The fallout from today’s event at Indianapolis will begin in earnest as the Formula One circus packs up and heads back to Europe for the French Grand Prix in two weeks time.

For the fans at the US Grand Prix, it was a day that they will not forget in a long time and sadly for the sport, for all the wrong reasons
    Last edited by Monseratto; June 20th, 2005 at 08:17 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    this was one strange race!

I was already shocked to see some of the cars pit after the parade lap... I thought at first that it was a mechanical failure or something. but I got the shock of my life when only 6 were in the grid!

the only exciting part of the race was when Schumi & Rubens met at the end of the pitstop. Rubens ran wide (although it was a bit unnecessary since Schumi already backed off) and handed the win to Schumi.

IMO,

the Michelin-equipped cars should have just ran slower in the controversial turn. instead of sacrificing all of that to the dismay of fans worldwide.
    Last edited by mazdamazda; June 20th, 2005 at 09:16 AM.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    If you stayed on to watch this farce up to the awarding ceremonies at the podium, nakaka-awang panoorin si Tiago Monteiro (Jordan, 3rd place) splashing that winner's champagne all by himself while Schumacher and Barricello simply turned back and quickly walked away feeling embarrased to even be there at the stage. The most sorry sight of all was looking at that GENUINE winner's look on Monteiro's face, all smiles, waving at the crowd, jumping, and relishing every moment of what could be his first and last podium appearance for this season and perhaps for years to come. Nakaka-awa talagang panoorin si Monteiro on that stage .... sobra...

The FIA is the only one to blame for this racing joke of the year. As mentioned in the papers, there were many ways available to let the race continue if they were willing to accept compromises. However, the rules were more important to them than the show.

The FIA should have known what was meant by - "The show must go on".
    If this turned out to be a farce, they should have atleast refunded the tickets of the fans.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    the only exciting part of the race was when Schumi & Rubens met at the end of the pitstop. Rubens ran wide (although it was a bit unnecessary since Schumi already backed off) and handed the win to Schumi.

My guess is that it was just a trick move between the two Ferraris and make it appear exciting, atleast to appease the fans who were clearly upset. It was obvious from the on-board camera shot that Rubens over-acted.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BoyFerrari,

nakakaawa nga si Montiego... but a win is a win...

maganda rin naman ang suggestions ng FIA for the Michelin equipped cars...

> run slower at Turn 13
    > change tires mid-race for safety reasons

dapat sila ang nag give way, and not the FIA (and other Bridgestone cars). unfair naman sa Bridgestone kung magbabago bigla ang format ng track.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tama a race is still a race, biro mo of the 6 nag 3rd pa siya he..he

there's always something new everyday

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    well, this will not help formula one in trying to break into the US market. i personally feel that they should have done something about it for the fans and spectators.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    for me, this US GP is really a waste of money.

imagine, galing ka pa sa ibang lugar just to watch your favorite driver tapos makikita mo 6 racers lang...

i think this new rules of the FIA some how have holes in it. laboooo!

what happen to michelin runners?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    maybe it's time to bring in a third supplier of tires? pirelli perhaps? or maybe goodyear?

andy

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Err...didn't get to see the race. Why were there only six cars on the grid? Nag symbolic sit-out ba yung ibang teams?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Schumacher wins six-car Indy farce