Kimi Raikkonen: Fire and Ice
Finn takes first formula One victory [24/03/03 - 10:22]

Many believe that Kimi Raikkonen has long been due a Formula One victory. However, cruel misfortunes have meant the Finn has had to wait longer than most expected. Now, after what can only be described as a faultless drive during Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix, Raikkonen has joined fellow countryman Mika Hakkinen in the Formula One Hall of Fame.

From the moment Raikkonen burst onto the F1 scene – albeit controversially – in 2001 with the Sauber team, it soon became evident that he would, in time, be a threat to Michael Schumacher's mantle. And although I am somewhat jumping the gun in saying so, I feel the time is fast approaching that the five-time World Champion will continually have to watch over his shoulder for the Team McLaren Mercedes driver.

Admittedly, when he joined the F1 Paddock with only one season of single-seater racing courtesy of Formula Renault, I was sceptical. Let's face it, very few of us weren't. But after numerous tests with the Sauber team and a series of FIA hurdles to jump, his contract was signed and sealed when he was just 21 years old. Now, two years on, he has scored 49 points in 36 races, finished on the podium six times and won his first race in stylish fashion.

How this first victory will affect Raikkonen is largely unknown, but if anything like fellow compatriot Mika Hakkinen, the young charger will leap to levels that even he didn't think were possible. A slight exaggeration, you may feel, but the Finnish driver has the potential to match, possibly even overhaul, the genius of Michael Schumacher.

“It is his first win and I can't tell you how important that is for a grand prix driver,” agreed McLaren boss Ron Dennis. “It takes a weight off his shoulders and he very much deserves it.”

If we look at it logically, even though we all knew Mika Hakkinen was a blinding driver, his real talent wasn't unleashed until that faithful day at Jerez in 1997 when he headed home the field to take victory. Sure, he was quick and to out-qualify Ayrton Senna at his first grand prix for McLaren is highly impressive, but he failed to regularly show a form that would conclude he would win back-to-back titles.

Kimi, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish. Although on the surface he is the twin of Hakkinen: blonde, blue-eyed, nerves of steel and a temperament colder than the Antarctic, he has one thing Hakkinen rarely demonstrated; the ability to race. And hard.

I am not taking anything away from Mika. His achievements are little short of phenomenal taking into account the accident in 1995 that nearly ended his career – and life – but very few occasions did he show us he could battle wheel-to-wheel on a consistent basis. There's only one manoeuvre that really stands out in my mind and that was overtaking Michael Schumacher for the lead at the 2000 Belgian Grand Prix, whilst lapping Ricardo Zonta at the same time. That move took some guts, but unfortunately, we didn't see it enough. His victories generally came off the back of a faultless drive with a car dominant enough that he didn't need to worry about overtaking other drivers. And although this doesn't make him any less of a driver, it does make us realise just what a rare breed Kimi is.

Even though Raikkonen demonstrated his ability with Sauber, handling the well-balanced, yet not perfect C20 with ease, it wasn't until he jumped ship for McLaren last season that his raw speed became evident. Regularly holding the upper hand against team mate, David Coulthard, during qualifying, his performance at the 2002 Belgian Grand Prix to take second on the grid through the billowing smoke of Olivier Panis' BAR was truly astounding. So astounding that it could even be classed as foolish.

In race trim, he shows a prowess that is rare in modern day racing drivers. Yes, they all love speed and they are all talented, adrenaline junkies, but there are few die-hard racers. We know what Michael Schumacher can do, we know that Juan-Pablo Montoya won't give up without a fight, but we are just beginning to learn the mindset of Raikkonen. A thoroughbred through and through, he has the balls to battle the best, yet the coolness to succeed.

Even after racing in the blistering heat and sweltering humidity for nearly two hours, little emotion was expressed at a time when even the most cold-hearted of people would have shed a tear or two. Sure, he was pretty pleased with his efforts and his ever-lasting beaming grin on the rostrum showed he was happy, but just happy? Nonetheless, put yourself in his shoes and how would you be feeling after such an ordeal? Indeed, in the post-race press conference, he himself admitted that he wasn't quite sure how he should be feeling.

“It's difficult to say how I feel right now,” he said. “It probably won't be until tomorrow that I notice that I have won my first race.”

Indeed, I dare say it will be Monday morning that he wakes up, more than likely with a headache owing to Sunday evening celebrations, that it hits home he is a grand prix winner. A World Champion in the making.

The ghosts of France '02 and Australia '03 have now been exorcised. No more looking back to Magny-Cour and what if he hadn't slipped on Allan McNish's oil. No more images from Melbourne and regretting speeding in the pitlane by a mere 1.1kph. No more doubters, wondering if he will ever win his first race. Now it's just onwards and upwards, safe in the knowledge that he has the capabilities to deliver the goods. The affect this will have on Raikkonen, both as a driver and a person, should never be underestimated.

Ron Dennis has formed an emotional attachment with the youngster. He has even called him Mika on international television during live press interviews. Yet, he knows he has arguably the brightest prospect in Formula One driving his cars for at least another four seasons. Food for thought, then, what the Finn will be able to achieve in this time.

Another double World Champion? At least…

Latest 15 stories, here...Raikkonen cautious over title...Barrichello hails 'future...Impressive debut 9th in Mexico...Wilson Released from...Kimi Raikkonen: Fire and...HANS device blamedFerrari bank on new car to...CART: Tracy wins in...Michelin and McLaren win...A fantastic result for...Wilson airlifted to hospital...The first of many!Post race press...Post race press...I'm sorry says Schumacher

Julie GATES
CAPSIS International