New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    The Jordan driver braked too late and sent Montoya to a spin, destroying his diffuser that eventually led to understeer in a high-speed corner, which was consolidated by Alonso. The championship leader splits the two silver cars in the podium.

A similar incident happened to Montoya in 2001 Brazil, where a lapped Verstappen took him out of the race. The Colombian's stunning overtaking maneuver on Schumacher unfortunately went down the drain because of this. Verstappen consequently incurred a $10,000 fine.

Monteiro himself should be answerable. Backmarkers like him are to let the frontrunners pass as if they themselves weren't there. They should be extra careful before and after being passed, done very well by his Indian teammate Karthikeyan in the past races. If he were to prove himself to be the better of the Jordan drivers, he ought to clean up his act and not drive his car beyond its capabilities.

Personally, I think people who do this must not be allowed to race in the next grand prix. These accidents are very much avoidable.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    The way I saw it from where I was sitting (the couch ), it was Montoya who cut too soon infront of Monteiro giving the Jordan too little time and space to brake. I really thought Montoya was too pressured from Alonso during that last few laps enough for him to commit errors. If that was the Iceman, it could have been a sure McLaren 1-2 at the finish.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    They should be extra careful before and after being passed, done very well by his Indian teammate Karthikeyan in the past races. If he were to prove himself to be the better of the Jordan drivers, he ought to clean up his act and not drive his car beyond its capabilities..
    Actually, it was Karthikeyan's exaggerated driving that Jordan has planned not to sign-up the Indian for the 2006 season. Narain will end up with no seat to drive next year unless another team plans to pick him up.

Personally, I think people who do this must not be allowed to race in the next grand prix. These accidents are very much avoidable.
    That's what many people always say about Michael Schumacher's driving antics since the mid-90's. Not to mention the famous "Jack Attack" driving of Jacques Villeneuve that always end up in a spectacular crash everytime.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyFerrari
    The way I saw it from where I was sitting (the couch ), it was Montoya who cut too soon infront of Monteiro giving the Jordan too little time and space to brake.

yup, the same way i saw it. parang swerving ng mga bus/jeepney driver ung ginawa ni montoya. so wala na talagang time si monteiro to stop.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it is all part of the race.

IMO - some frontrunners just don't give a damn about the backmarkers in the first place. sometimes they run them off / force them into "unclean" portions of the track (which will further degrade their race).

6. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Montoya was already suffering from a flat spotted tire by then so he had to brake into the corner earlier than usual... This, combined with the sudden loss of downforce/grip ni Montiero resulted in the incident. Parang 50/50 yung blame... sayang yung first 1-2 ng Mclaren for the last 5 years yata.

Pero with the way things are going, it looks like Mclaren will still win the WCC... not so sure about Kimi's chances as WDC but I hope he makes it this year...

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    I think the last few races will become even more exciting since The Iceman is fast catching up with Alonso they could end up dead even at Shanghai ! What an ultimate ending that would be! For sure, kamikaze driving techniques will flare up even more!

Unlike dati, 3/4 pa lang ng season wala ng kwenta since Schumacher blew up the competition early on.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    as i said in a different thread, notice how these things always happen to montoya?

i didn't see the race but i don't think a backmarker necessarily has to roll over for the frontrunners. they have every right to continue racing and make legal racing/blocking maneuvers. remember that these guys are still in the top 0.0001% of racing drivers in the world and they didn't get there by letting other drivers pass them easily. may competitive pride din yang mga yan.

if monteiro did something illegal then he should definitely face a fine however. i'll leave it to you guys who watched the race to decide for sure

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    It's the backmarker's duty to give more breathing space to the frontrunner after he's lapped. Besides, it's no use to push 100% driving a slow car that's not really reliable.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    It's the backmarker's duty to give more breathing space to the frontrunner after he's lapped. Besides, it's no use to push 100% driving a slow car that's not really reliable.
    You have to quantify what you mean when you said "give more breathing space".

Does a lapped car have to drive on the grass to "give more breathing space"?

Does a lapped car have to drive to 65 mph to "give more breathing space"?

If you watch the video of the replay, Monteiro was simply driving on a straight line at an almost cruising speed (not something you can say agressive). Montoya sprinted his McLaren to overtake but suddenly swerved to the right infront of the Jordan too soon. It was a miscalculated driving maneuver that can only be blamed on Montoya.

Monteiro could have braked his Jordan down to bicycle speed, I agree, but that doesn't mean he should be trashed for his driving skills because he is driving a Jordan. There are many other F1 drivers who have been penalized before for ignoring blue flags shown to them. So Monteiro's case was not unique.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Monteiro ruins McLaren 1-2 in Turkey