New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    one owner two cars, they just bought the crv then they wanted to test it if it was capable. so they tested it in their farm i na newly tilled lot for sugarcane, the pathfinder bogged down using 4low first, then they tried 4L second it just could not get out, it lacked that ommph, maybe because it was a diesel. then they tried the crv same spot it just jumped out.

but i know soft 4wd's will break easily than true 4wd, but it does not mean that they cannot handle certain terrains, there are instances when true 4wd's is a disadvantage compared to soft 4wd's.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ARB,

isn't that bit counter-intuitive? i mean, don't diesels have the low-end oomph needed to get moving from a stop in such a situation?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Then maybe the CRV got lucky and caught a firm grip from the soil, since it was newly tilled. :D

Based from my observations, soft 4WD's also have limited suspension play even if they are replaced by aftermarket suspension parts. Compared to full bloodied 4WDs that is.

Disadvantages? Due to size factor?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't really like taking soft-off roaders off-road because when you hit something underneath it will usually be something breakable and/or very expensive. :mrgreen: Rarely do they have adequate underbody protection (read: skidplates) for the oil pan, t-case, and fuel tank among others.

Suspension travel is also limited due to the inherent limitations of IFS and IRS. No problem when you're attacking dirt or dunes. But for the moguls and the ruts we usually encounter on our trips, you'll always have one wheel hanging in the air.

I also don't find the idea of buying a brand new vehicle then using it off-road. Although, vehicles rarely get severely damaged during trips, scratches and underbody dents can be common. Baka bigla ka na lang maiyak sa trail. Kukulangin ang dala kong tissue.

I think the CR-V made it through because the left and right rear half shafts of the CR-V rotate at the same speed when AWD is engaged (parang rear difflock effect). Although I could be very wrong on that one.

Other things you should consider although hindi naman requirement:
    *A ladder-type frame (although the Jeep Cherokee has proven that monocoques can indeed be used for serious off-roading).
    *Solid front and rear axles like the Nissan Patrol and Land Cruisers up until the LC80 series of the 90's.
    *Stepboards and mudguards you can easily remove (not easy with the current Pajero and Trooper).

Have you considered an AMC Hammer? See them at www.pbase.com/jappy

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4newbie
    assemble? hmmm? like how? so that i can also explain it to my dad...
    there are a lot of ideas to play around.
    e.g. landcruiser prado underchassis, chevy V6 engine, mini-hummer body.
    or pajero underchassis, toyota engine, renegade type body.
    medyo tasking nga lang and dapat may kasama kang nakakaintindi.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ARB
    one owner two cars, they just bought the crv then they wanted to test it if it was capable. so they tested it in their farm i na newly tilled lot for sugarcane, the pathfinder bogged down using 4low first, then they tried 4L second it just could not get out, it lacked that ommph, maybe because it was a diesel. then they tried the crv same spot it just jumped out.

but i know soft 4wd's will break easily than true 4wd, but it does not mean that they cannot handle certain terrains, there are instances when true 4wd's is a disadvantage compared to soft 4wd's.
    sorry to disagree.
    DRIVER factor lang siguro yan.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    well maybe na chamba lang ang crv, but if ever i have soft 4wd's i will never bring them off road too.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nice topic,
    4x4newbie if i were in your shoes, im gonna buy a pickup, a toyota pickup that is
    after market parts are a plenty, off road capabilities is boundless, ask freeman yan ang ride, he's our experience off roader here, ok pa yan kung may business ka so double purpose and kung bahain sa inyo triple purpose pa!

but if you have the dough for a just off road car, ako im gonna go for the
    1.toyota lancruiser II or LC70 swb (short wheel base)
    2.modified lc40

3.pajero swb gen II /j-top[/img]

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    get a 2nd hand kung balak mo lang gawing laruan (for offroad use only, or pag coding ang auto mo)... even kung daily driver mo siguro pero priority mo gamitin pang-offroad parin, 2nd na rin, cheaper pa...

if you want a really capable, yet cheap, offroader, get a Suzuki Samurai or Jimny (kahit yung new Jimny, I believe a brand new Jimny is just over PhP500k (not sure kung aabot pa ng P600k, but possible) but kung hanap mo diesel powered talaga, walang diesel ang Suzuki...

just my 1 cent :mrgreen:

goodluck sa search!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    NEW THEORY ON THE CR-V:

Could it have been that it's lighter weight allowed for more floation?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Help!! 4WDs for Offroad