New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Formula One officials are investigating Lewis Hamilton's victory in last weekend's Japanese Grand Prix, amid allegations that he engaged in improper driving, a FIA spokeswoman said Thursday.

Officials are reviewing video evidence suggesting that Hamilton's driving behind the safety car at the rain-lashed Fuji Speedway led to a crash that ended the race for Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel.

"New evidence has been brought to the stewards' attention and they are currently looking into the matter," said the spokeswoman for the FIA, the sport's governing body.

"It would be inappropriate for us to comment any further at this particular stage, in particular as to what penalty, if any, might be imposed."

The British rookie leads the race for the world championship by 12 points, with two races left. But if found guilty of improper driving, his points from Japan could be erased or - more likely - he could face a grid position penalty in Shanghai. Hamilton was expected to meet with Formula One stewards on Friday.

The incident was missed by official TV coverage, but a clip posted on the YouTube video sharing website shows Hamilton slowing dramatically and veering to the right of the track just before Vettel rear-ended Webber.

Vettel has been penalised ten grid positions at the Chinese Grand Prix for his role in the crash, and Hamilton could expect a similar punishment if found to be in breach of Formula One safety car regulations.

Webber and Vettel have both since been critical of Hamilton's performance
    Tried looking for that video, ito na lang ang naiwan na message...

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management
    Last edited by Monseratto; October 4th, 2007 at 09:30 PM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003

Hope the FIA doesn't delete this one too...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hamilton deserves to be given at least a 10 grid penalty on the next race. If he didnt swerve to the right when he almost overtook the safety car, webber wouldnt have been forced to brake or else he would have overtaken hamilton. Because Webber was forced to brake, he was rear ended. I don't know what is the penalty for not following the safety car.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nakaw...baka maudlot pa ang confirmed driver's championship :nerves:

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Malamang penalty din yan. Wag lang strip of points.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Hmmm... Mukhang napabilis aproach nya, at biglang nag slow down ng lumampas na sya sa safety car. Grid penalty lang sana wag lang strip ng points.

Can someone explain the fault of hamilton one that race? It appears in the video that he slowed down when he was about to overtook the safety car. In fact Webber and Vettel was about to overtook him and the collision happed.
    Last edited by CoDer; October 5th, 2007 at 06:41 AM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post

Hope the FIA doesn't delete this one too...

Not an expert here but this is interesting....

Hhmmmm... he sure was driving a bit strange, I supposed to defend his position, behind that safety car....

And MW was definitely reacting only at that time since he was surprised to (probably) see LH on his right and he was right behind the safety car.....

4000:play_ball:

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The car following the safety car must be within 5 car lengths. Pinaglalaruan ni Hamilton yung pagtakbo niya sa harap. Madaming ibang driver di masaya sa ginagawa niya.

The Daily Telegraph cited the prospect of a ten-position grid penalty, which would severely dent Hamilton's chances of winning the Chinese Grand Prix and therefore securing the drivers' title on Sunday.

The newspaper also quoted Jenson Button as on Thursday joining Webber, Vettel, Alonso, Nick Heidfeld, Franz Tost and others in criticising Hamilton's driving.

"When I was behind him it felt really inconsistent," the Honda driver said.

"I don't know what he was doing really. He came through the last section and he kept slowing down. He knew the safety car wasn't coming in and he kept hitting the brakes hard in the last sector so everyone would bunch up. Then he'd shoot off and brake again."

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    The car following the safety car must be within 5 car lengths. Pinaglalaruan ni Hamilton yung pagtakbo niya sa harap. Madaming ibang driver di masaya sa ginagawa niya.

Hhmmmm..... IMO, I can relate this to what a writer was saying "Innocence and arrogance" on LH......

4000:play_ball:

10. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CoDer View Post
    Hmmm... Mukhang napabilis aproach nya, at biglang nag slow down ng lumampas na sya sa safety car. Grid penalty lang sana wag lang strip ng points.

Can someone explain the fault of hamilton one that race? It appears in the video that he slowed down when he was about to overtook the safety car. In fact Webber and Vettel was about to overtook him and the collision happed.

i took this from yahoo news:
    ------
    F1 regulations state the leader must keep a within five metres of the safety car, while erratic driving can also be punished.

Article 40.10 of the F1 Sporting Regulations reads: "The safety car shall be used at least until the leader is behind it and all remaining cars are lined up behind him. Once behind the safety car, the race leader must keep within five car lengths of it."

--------

when i saw hamilton do this slow down then accelerate behind the safety car, thought it was just a good strategy of confusing the car behind him. but hearing from webber and considering the treacherous condition of th track, webber may have a point. poor visibility plus slippery track makes its harder for the cars to suddenly stop behind hamilton.

anyway, IF and only IF hamilton is found guilty, what should be the penalty??? well, i read a comment on youtube to which i agree on how you penalize hamilton.

webber and vettel were penalized grid positions for the next race. they cannot be penalized with point deductions since they did not earn any points due to the crash. since hamilton did earn points in that race, he should be penalized with points deduction in that race.

now regarding the penalty IF ever hamilton is found guilty of dangerous driving

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hamilton's Japanese win under investigation